2 year old not talking

(29 Posts)
Kellie3236 Mon 18-Apr-16 21:20:22

Hi

My 27 month son isn't talking and isn't very responsive. We have taken him to speech therapy and have been referred to a 9 week course which won't start for a few weeks yet. Since taking him to speech therapy my mum has raised a concern and said that she thinks he might be slightly autistic this had never entered my mind before as he is so happy loves cuddles with me or his dad he loves playing with us too. Chasing us being tickled he's always smiling and giggling. He also loves peppa pig!!

He goes nursery 3 days a week he doesn't really play with the other kids but he does play along side them. They have said he prefers to be with a worker and playing with them. As he's our first I just thought he liked to do his own thing and is independent.

He doesn't talk but does say mum, dad, nan, jump and no! He does respond to his name sometimes but not all the time. He's really good at walking clumbing and playing with his cars. He's very active he loves to run around. I'm not sure he has an ear problem as if I put the tv on in another room he comes running in.

He can feed himself and drink out of a cup without spilling. However he doesn't follow a command like go get your shoes but saying that I've always got everything for him so he hasn't ever had too. I guess I've made him lazy

I'm just really worried that my mum might be right has anyone else had these same problems? Am I being silly is he just like any other lazy boy I'm driving myself and my partner mad! I've been to my health visitor they are going to do his review in the next few months and so are his nursery I guess it's the waiting that's the worst part!

MattDillonsPants Tue 19-Apr-16 05:25:48

No speech by 2 alone is not necessarily a symptom of Autism. It can be one of the signs when it's accompanied with others.

Difficulty with social interaction and sensory issues. Do you notice if he has any issues with loud noises such as hand dryers or traffic? Does he point at objects of interest? If you point something out to him..."Look at that doggy over the road!" will he follow your gaze and point and look at it?

Also how is he communicating that he wants a drink etc?

Happygoluckyy Tue 19-Apr-16 05:45:56

Yes but there was more too it.

You'll probably also have to have a hearing test to rule out any possibility.

Can he hold eye contact?

Hows his behaviour? Is there anything you can see that's repetitive?

Does he get upset in certain places ie supermarket or crowded areas?

Does he have have any stimming behaviour such as spinning, certain body movements?

It may help to keep a behaviour diary.

FanjofortheMammaries Tue 19-Apr-16 06:13:37

Sorry but kids with autism also love cuddles and being chased/tickled. It's my DD's favourite thing.

Loud noises eye contact and busy places also aren't a test for autism.

Joint attention..whether he points things out and looks when you point things out and stimming behaviour would be good place to start.

FanjofortheMammaries Tue 19-Apr-16 06:15:06

I say this as my DD doesn't mind eye contact or most busy places.

I obviously cannot say if your child has ASD though OP, if concerned ask for assessment.

Caprinihahahaha Tue 19-Apr-16 06:22:35

The things you describe neither indicate nor exclude autism.
My son has autism and was diagnosed at two. He loves cuddles and is giggly and very loving. He makes great eye contact and was very active, climbing and running were his favourites.

If you are about to do a speech and language course I would see what they say and maybe speak to your GP.

Laquila Tue 19-Apr-16 06:25:36

Not playing with the other kids isn't a cause for concern in itself - playing alongside them is exactly what's expected at this age.

zen1 Tue 19-Apr-16 06:38:00

If you are worried about ASD, you should ask your GP for a referral to a developmental paediatrician. I would not wait for the HV or nursery to do a review as they are not in a position to diagnose and would only refer you on so that would be even more waiting. At least if you get yourself in the system, if your DS comes on in leaps and bounds in the next few months to the extent that your concerns are put to rest, you could cancel the appointment (in my experience, you often have to wait a few months for an appointment anyway).

As others have said, being happy and loving cuddles doesn't exclude autism. My DS (diagnosed at 3) had always been the cuddliest of my DC.

It is great you are doing a speech and language course.

JuxtapositionRecords Tue 19-Apr-16 06:59:56

It's very normal for 2 year olds to play alongside rather than with other children. None of the points you have raised you would worry me except for the speech. Can you go back to GP and discuss your concerns?

Frusso Tue 19-Apr-16 07:24:35

Has his hearing been tested since the newborn screening, if not ask for a referral to audiology to have any issues with hearing ruled out.

Kellie3236 Tue 19-Apr-16 08:19:44

Thank you everyone for your comments I'm booked in to see the doc to on the 30th April so will as for a referral as well as a hearing test

He does look at things when I point them out sometimes he doesn't spin around a lot but he does love to run back and forth. Some days he likes the supermarket and others he hates it he doesn't like being in the trolley he likes to run around with his dad. Traffic doesn't bother him either he does get a bit upset when in the car if we stop for a long time.

My main concern was his speech but now after reading things in becoming concerned but I'm not sure if I'm just looking for something that isn't there or linking things

There's so much information out there I'm just finding it all a bit overwhelming

Kellie3236 Tue 19-Apr-16 08:29:29

When he wants something he usually drags us to the kitchen or gets a bowl out of his cupboard

Hand dryers and hair dryers don't bother him as long as he isn't using them the noise is fine

I've asked both the speech therapist and our health visitor to arrange a hearing test but will also flag up with my GP just want to get certain things ruled out

I didn't speak until I was 5

EarthboundMisfit Tue 19-Apr-16 08:32:50

Has your mum explained why she thinks that?

Has his hearing been recently checked?

For what it's worth, I have 2 older DSs who could have in depth conversations by 2, and a younger who I was very concerned by. He barely spoke until he was two. Now, at 29 months, he is starting to take off at an incredible rate but his speech is very indistinct. He's been assessed and no concerns.

EarthboundMisfit Tue 19-Apr-16 08:33:20

Sorry cross posted.

Caprinihahahaha Tue 19-Apr-16 08:38:59

It is overwhelming and confusing and to be honest talking to people on here about a child they can't see probably doesn't really help either - although we are all here to support you, many of us having been through this time when you are so uncertain.

I found I just started looking at my DS all the time with a constant, 'is that a behaviour, do other kids do that too' in my head. I almost stopped seeing him as my boy anymore I was just so terrified.

The chances are it's nothing. Or that some of the behaviours that bother your mum are part of his lack of effective communication. And if there are some issues, catching it all early is by far the best thing. Children with no support, whose issues are not spotted, don't have the best time.

Try not to worry (I know that sounds impossible) and just watch what happens. This age is astonishing in terms of change and development. A lots of your concerns may just diminish.

MattDillonsPants Tue 19-Apr-16 09:21:49

When you say he drags you to the kitchen, does he also sometimes use your hand to guide it to something? A puzzle for instance which may be hard?

Kellie3236 Tue 19-Apr-16 09:48:41

Thank you so much these post have really helped me I'm doing exactly the same thing watching him constantly it's like I'm not seeing him in the same light as I did before all this which makes me so upset.

My mum has said her concerns are that when we had his 2nd birthday and everyone was singing happy birthday he got upset, he doesnt respond to her when she calls him and his speech. My mum sees him probably about once or twice a month. He does respond to me and his dad sometimes but he does like to run around and do his own thing. I've started restricting how much peppa pig he watches in the hope that he'll interact with us more if the to is off. Fingers crossed

He hasn't had his hearing checked since birth but does seem to hear ok as if peppa comes on he'll come running in from the other rooms. I'm still going to get it checked to be on the safe side.

I've spoken to the nursery and they have said there concern is his speech and responding to his name also but maybe he's just engrossed in his play. I mentioned it to my HV a while ago and she said sometimes children just ignore you not sure if that's right.

He does talk to himself he's always making noises and does say no if he doesn't want something he turns things away if he doesn't like them. He always puts the food he doesn't want off his plate. I'm just worried I'm over analysing things and slowly going crazy

If he needs extra help I just want to have all the information so we can give him the help he needs and make things easier for him.

Kellie3236 Tue 19-Apr-16 09:52:33

He doesn't really play with puzzles he has one which hasn't been opened so I'll get that out tonight and see. He does sometimes pull is to his cars he has one thats on a track which they fall from he sometimes makes is put the cars on properly so they go down the slide. He also brings us our phones to play videos to him he touches the screen to start them also

FanjofortheMammaries Tue 19-Apr-16 10:09:48

if he doesn't want something he turns things away if he doesn't like them. He always puts the food he doesn't want off his plate

My DD does this but I take it as a sign of her communicating she doesn't want something, just because she cant say it, not as a sign of her ASD.

MattDillonsPants Tue 19-Apr-16 10:34:19

Do the Mchat test

www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/diagnosis/screen-your-child

It's a very good and well respected test...you just answer the questions about your child...and it gives you a risk factor score. Certain scores will advise you to seek more advice.

When I mentioned puzzles I was just using them as an example. What I was asking, is if he needs you to help with something...does he take your hand in his and then lead it to whatever he wants help with? Though this can be a sign of Autism, not all children with Autism do it anyway.x

MattDillonsPants Tue 19-Apr-16 10:35:04

There's a donation pop up on the page with the test...just hit the arrow and it will go.

Kellie3236 Tue 19-Apr-16 11:42:22

I did the test which is difficult as some of the things he does sometimes so wasn't sure if that was yes or no his score was 6 which has worried me!!

MattDillonsPants Tue 19-Apr-16 14:11:03

6 doesn't sound very high...did it say high risk? Or moderate? I think if he does some things sometimes then that's enough to say "yes" to those things. So if he sometimes plays imaginatively, then yes...he does that.

Kellie3236 Tue 19-Apr-16 14:30:32

It says medium risk

AntiquityUbiquity Tue 19-Apr-16 14:39:06

This pdf of MCHAT follow up questions is useful if you're not sure what is being asked. Also the more red flag questions are highlighted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now