Swimming with a nearly two year old - what can I buy to help her swim by herself?

(9 Posts)
GlummyMummy Fri 15-Apr-16 19:07:22

My 22 month old likes going swimming though we don't go very regularly. She has never been to swimming classes or anything, but in the pool I find her hard to hold on to as she is very wriggly (and heavy!) and wants to be able to move around by herself in the water as she sees other older kids doing so.

What could I buy to help? Is she too little for armbands? Obviously don't want her to drown !!!!! Would a float suit hold her up?

applecatchers36 Fri 15-Apr-16 19:21:40

My 27 month wears a float vest and this holds her up so she can do doggy paddle. She used to wear armbands but they said only up to 24months but that might be that particular brand.

ceeveebee Fri 15-Apr-16 19:35:07

Pool noodles are good too

Ilikesweetpeas Fri 15-Apr-16 19:38:08

Float vests are good, and you can gradually take out the floats as they learn to swim. Mother are have them but if you are near a home bargain they are a lot cheaper there!

ihearttc Sat 16-Apr-16 09:31:04

Swim Fin? It will keep her in the correct position as well.

GlummyMummy Sat 16-Apr-16 13:21:33

thanks for the suggestions folks! What are pool noodles? Are they those long tube things? Swim Fin is a new one on me too!! :-)

Tinydancer85 Sat 16-Apr-16 13:33:31

Float vests or belts, they love the independence of it, and keeps their hands and legs free to kick and paddle along smile

skankingpiglet Sat 16-Apr-16 15:44:42

I think it depends on whether you just want something to keep her afloat independently so she can splash around, or something to teach her to swim. I take my 22mo DD to swimming lessons and the only floats we use are noodles (yep, the long tube things) and those small square and flat boards, however you still need to help your child use them and stay balanced at this age. Only those kind are used as it teaches them to find their own balance and buoyancy rather than being dependent on a float.
There was a good thread on here not too long ago about the best thing to use to teach them to swim smile

GlummyMummy Sat 16-Apr-16 20:20:53

At the moment, I think I just want something to keep her afloat so she has a bit more independence from me without going under!!

thanks for the link to the other thread skankingpiglet, I felt sure someone else would have asked the same question!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now