Hearing aids and a strong minded toddler - how will it work?

(17 Posts)
HumphreyCobblers Tue 12-Apr-16 17:14:44

I can't see DS keeping a hearing aid in for more than thirty seconds, I am hoping I am wrong about this. Has anyone got any ideas about keeping them in? Or any experience with this situation and can offer me some hope!

They are not due to be fitted for four weeks, only had the test today.

HumphreyCobblers Tue 12-Apr-16 19:32:16

<hopeful bump>

I have never EVER managed to get him to wear a hat

BackforGood Tue 12-Apr-16 19:36:25

Usually they ask them to wear them for a very short time at first.....
'Wear them until the sand timer has run through and then you can {insert favourite activity}" then extend the time gradually each time they try them.

At some point, it 'clicks' that it's actually quite nice to be hearing better, and they stop minding, but this can take some time.

A lot of toddlers have them on a band first - is that likely or will it definitely be on/in the ear ?

HumphreyCobblers Tue 12-Apr-16 19:42:09

Thanks for the response! He is two and a half and doesn't have the receptive language to understand a sentence like that, sadly.

They took a putty imprint of his ear, so I imagine they won't be on a band?

His hearing loss is only classed as mild but it seems to be affecting his speech a lot.

I just wonder if grommets would have been a better choice for a child like him, but it seems a sledgehammer to crack a nut considering it is only mild hearing loss. I don't fancy a GA much either.

BackforGood Tue 12-Apr-16 19:47:50

Yes, until a couple of years ago, grommets were usually offered first, but the thinking has been reversed now - why give a child a GA if they might not need one?

It's just a case of breaking it down further then, with the "keeping them in = reward", even if that's a hug or a swing round, or a high five, or <whispers on MN> a chocolate button!

Good luck smile

HumphreyCobblers Tue 12-Apr-16 20:51:03

Thanks, fingers crossed he will accept it better than I am expecting. Other children do, after all!

SweetieDrops Tue 12-Apr-16 20:55:24

If you're on Facebook have a look for a company called Lugs, they decorate hearing aids with children's favourite characters if you think that would encourage him to wear it.

HumphreyCobblers Tue 12-Apr-16 21:03:07

thanks, I will

Twistedheartache Tue 12-Apr-16 21:06:52

My Dd2 is 18 months now & still has times/ days where she point blank refuses to wear her hearing aids but has gradually got better & better over the last 6 months. I claim no credit at all - having struggled for 8 months nursery have been amazing!
In terms of wearing them, build the time up gradually. Start with 5-10 mins after breakfast or lunch & be consistent. I operated a 3 strikes & keep them out policy to not upset her but she was only a tiny baby.
Our teacher of the deaf gave us a string that goes on the aids that we clip on to her vest.

HumphreyCobblers Tue 12-Apr-16 21:09:06

That sounds encouraging, thanks - the string sounds great. I was imagining him posting it down the loo.

Twistedheartache Tue 12-Apr-16 21:22:20

Have a look at the ndcs website too. I went on a really useful info weekend & they had some great resources for early years settings that I could give to nursery too.

WhirlwindHugs Tue 12-Apr-16 21:24:07

Have you had a look at the national deaf childrens society website? They have forums too and loads of parents will have been through this. Since you mentioned grommits, if it's glue ear there is a lot of info about glue ear there too which we found helpful.
Good luck!

HumphreyCobblers Tue 12-Apr-16 21:36:21

thanks very much, I will look at both those sites.

I knew someone would be able to point me in the right direction smile

HumphreyCobblers Tue 12-Apr-16 21:37:08

It is glue ear. He is about a year behind in his speech and his receptive language.

WhirlwindHugs Wed 13-Apr-16 06:45:17

Hope it's useful - luckily our child's case resolved before we got to this stage but her speech did catch up quickly once she could hear again.

TragicallyUnbeyachted Wed 11-May-16 15:23:58

If you just persevere and don't make an issue of it then EVENTUALLY they get used to wearing them (bad news: it took about two years for DD2 to start wearing hers all day, but I think she was unusually bloody-minded). Decorating aids with stickers, charms etc. can help too (there are FB groups for that, as well)

ShoeJunkie Wed 11-May-16 15:31:09

You can get things called 'huggies' and also toupee/wig tape to stop the flapping around so they are less distracting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now