My almost 3 year old wakes most nights and wants to come into our bed

(16 Posts)
Dolly007 Thu 31-Mar-16 16:25:02

Help! Anyone else's toddler waking at night (2am) and coming into their bed refusing to sleep in their own bed?

My youngest of 8 months arrived in August of last year, and since then, my eldest plays up a lot when it is just the 3 of us.

We are having broken sleep as a result most nights even and we both work full time.

We make our eldest feel as special as possible without neglecting the youngest.

Thanks in advance.

zoobaby Thu 31-Mar-16 16:41:39

Yep. Almost every night since the sides came off his cotbed, so about 1.5 years now. I was adamant he'd have to go back to his own bed but my DP was more relaxed about it. As I was PG, and now BF, I didn't have the energy to fight it. I think its just easier right now to not kick up a fuss and maybe one day he'll just decide to stay put. Hopefully his sister won't follow suit. grin

BrightandEarly Thu 31-Mar-16 21:01:34

Yes!

Do you have a guest bedroom? We are just going with it for the moment - DH is in the guest room because DD (3) is more or less guaranteed to come into our bed every night. At least this way everyone gets a reasonable night sleep.

Like you we have demanding jobs so no spare energy to do anything about it at the moment, and she's only little anyway.

I am hoping DS doesn't follow suit when the sides come off his cot shocksmile

GlitteryFluff Thu 31-Mar-16 22:19:05

Oh god I'm going through this st the minute was DS who is 19months. weeps at the thought of it still going on at 3!
We've just taken the sides off his cot so he just walks in our room and gets in our bed.
It's easier to let him in and then we all sleep than to fight with him and get no sleep whilst he's upset etc
I'm hoping he'll either stop on his own or as he gets older I can reason with him as he understands more. Fingers crossed anyway!

Yep, ds just turned four and still gets in most nights despite us having decorated his bedroom and got a new bed which is mostly slept in my DP. He said today that he'll stay in his own bed when he's as big as daddy hmm Hoping it's just a phase but it's been about 7 months now but as we both work ft we don't have the energy to fight it.

HarlettOScara Thu 31-Mar-16 22:25:22

We bought DD a double bed when she outgrew her toddler bed ( freakishly tall 3 year old). If she wants into our bed during the night, she's quickly shepherded back to her own room and one of us gets into her bed with her until she settles. She's usually asleep again within a few minutes and we can return to our own, child free bed.

DextersMistress Thu 31-Mar-16 22:26:53

Same here. Ds1 was the same and we tried every trick in the book, nothing worked. He eventually started sleeping through aged 5 after starting school.

We found we got more sleep just letting him get in with us rather than being up and down putting him back. Ds2 is 3 and I'm counting down the next 2 years grin

ChablisTyrant Thu 31-Mar-16 22:30:28

He's old enough to respond to a sticker chart. Sticker for each day he stays in own bed with a toy after 10 days or so. Should break the habit... Until it starts again!!!

ThirtyNineWeeks Thu 31-Mar-16 23:08:59

When do cot beds become beds, please? <terrified>

GlitteryFluff Fri 01-Apr-16 08:44:37

Thirty for us 18 months. Some people it's earlier but for most it's later. I only had to as he kept climbing/ falling out so for safety. Some kids don't even bother trying so can be left longer.

melonribena Fri 01-Apr-16 08:46:48

My ds is 3.5 and does this every night at some point.
I'm going with it. He won't be doing it at 18 and I'm enjoying the cuddles!!
As long as everyone sleeps well it's fine!

Kingfisherfree Fri 01-Apr-16 08:52:57

My Dd does this and she will be 4 soon. It is a bit annoying but we're just waiting for her to grow out of it.

Catastrophica Sat 02-Apr-16 02:08:48

yes we had this too, with our two who are close in age. Sometimes we tolerated it, if it was easier to keep sleeping with the invasion of children, and as they got bigger we insisted they just have a hug and return to bed. The painful bit was having to get up and return them to the bedroom if they were too nervy to go alone.

milkysmum Sat 02-Apr-16 02:21:01

My 4 year old still often does this I'm afraid. Can't usually be bothered with the hassle in the middle of the night when I'm up for work so it's easier just to let him snuggle in with us

looki Sat 02-Apr-16 02:35:25

My four year old does this every night. We go with it -as she refused all our blackmail attempts-

DH sleeps in the guest room as otherwise nobody sleeps well. It was embarrassing to hear her tell her Montessori teacher recently that she slept in mummy's bed AND thendaddy's bed last night. blush

mawbroon Sat 02-Apr-16 02:39:21

We just bought a bigger bed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now