16 month old won't eat

(2 Posts)
FriendlyGhost Wed 30-Mar-16 09:16:46

My 16 month old dd won't eat. She's never really been keen on food but has occasional days where she eats reasonably. Even those seem to have stopped now though. She's breastfed and if she doesn't eat anything then she just fills up on milk. I want her to cut down on breastfeeding naturally and when she's ready so I don't refuse feeds. I do however offer food and drink before I give milk and postpone milk feeds for as long as possible so I know she's hungry. At the moment all food is being thrown on the floor without her even trying it. I try not to react at all to this. She eats at the same time as me and I offer the same thing. I've also tried to offer snacks when she's not in the hated high chair but she's not interested in them either. I just don't know what to do!

kitkat321 Wed 30-Mar-16 12:22:52

I'm going through a similar phase right now with my wee girl - she was such a good eater when we started weaning her but now unless it's fruit, yoghurt or cheese she won't really touch it.

I just keep offering in the hope that something will stick - she seems to be more interested in it if I let her feed herself - very messy and she doesn't actually eat much because it all falls off the spoon but with a bit of help from me she will take more than if I try to feed her. Randomly she found it hilarious the other night when I fed her mashed potatoes and beans off my fingers - anything to get her eating!

We're on 2 bottles a day (am and bed time) but some days I have given in and given her a bottle during the day just so she has something.

I'm hoping it's just a phase!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now