3 year old getting erections??!

(12 Posts)
LMonkey Tue 22-Mar-16 16:45:04

My 3 year old little boy has not only been getting erections at least once a day for the last week or so (maybe longer) but when it happens he actually gets his willy out and says "look it's big, it's big!"! Yesterday he did it in front of my mum blush blush It's only a matter of time before he does it in front of other family, in public or at pre school (if he hasn't already). So far I've just told him to please put it away as we don't all want to see it. I know to him it's probably just an interesting thing that happens.....but is this normal at this age? And any ideas how I can get him to stop getting it out??!

AuntieStella Tue 22-Mar-16 16:47:09

Act bored and keep telling him "willies are private"

SmellySourdough Tue 22-Mar-16 16:48:13

very normal!
just tell him that it's private.

Kathysclown Tue 22-Mar-16 16:48:24

My ds gets them sometimes at bedtime, and will tell me his pjs are standing up :-). I think it is normal......? He is 3 too.

Bejeena Tue 22-Mar-16 18:14:04

At 3 he still is very little so I wouldn't do anything to tell him that it is naughty or private or similar he is so innocent and you don't want him to develop a complex about it. Plenty of time to teach him what is appropriate, he will learn it himself anyway.

Oh and is totally normal I think my 2.5 year-old is the same

LittleBlackTrilby Tue 22-Mar-16 18:15:25

My 3 year old howls with laughter every time....I just tell him to put it away.

anotherbusymum14 Tue 22-Mar-16 18:18:02

Ignore. Hes discovered something fun but will get over it smile

GlacindaTheTroll Tue 22-Mar-16 18:20:32

"Hes discovered something fun but will get over it"

grin Or it's the start of a life long passion...

But you still need to ignore it, and just tell him 'pants back on'

winchester1 Tue 22-Mar-16 18:24:32

My 2.5 yr old has discovered how to make it big, we just tell him to go to the bathroom if he wants to play with it (he cant take himself to his room as we have a stair gate for his little sister).
I think its pretty normal for toddlers to have a fiddle and be fascinated.

Artioo2 Tue 22-Mar-16 18:25:51

Presumably your mum knows what an errection is, so there's no need to be embarrassed. smile It's natural for them to be interested in a bit of their body that noticeably changes shape, DS said the same kind of thing at that age. If he does it in public I'd tell him gently it's a private thing but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Tue 22-Mar-16 18:32:57

Welcome to the club OP! grin My 4 year old DS is obsessed with his willy and "making it big". After a few reminders, he now knows that, while there is nothing wrong with it, he shouldn't be "making it big" in public.

RomComPhooey Tue 22-Mar-16 18:40:55

DH recently explained why erections happen to our 10 year old - words were needed because he kept announcing he had one left, right and centre. I thought he was more worldly, but it turns out we've done an excellent job of keeping him sheltered. He certainly wasn't getting why I was telling him it was private and that it shouldn't be loudly announced. DH said his face when he explained the sex/babies connection was a picture. I suspect I've heard my last announcement from DS1 on this subject. I certainly hope so.

IME, if you have young sons it goes with the territory - from peeing over their shoulder on the changing mat until they twig to keep it private. Seems to ebb and flow with the various testosterone surges too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now