12 week old still hasn't smiled.

(18 Posts)
minniemama1421 Wed 09-Mar-16 16:59:49

My son is 12 weeks old now and still hasn't smiled yet. It was noted at his 6 week check that he hadn't smiled so we were referred to a pediatrician who said he didn't think there was anything to worry about, and that the fact he was 2 weeks early and quite poorly the first week or so after birth may be playing a part and that he would expect him to have smiled within the following few weeks. It been 6 weeks now since we seen the doctor and he still hasn't smiled. He laughs in his sleep but his face doesn't move while he giggles. Has anyone else experienced similar and their baby have no problems? The doctor mentioned to me straight away that not smiling may be an indicator of aspergers. It obviously wouldn't bother me either way but I'd just like to know what to expect. Is it normal to smile later than 13 weeks and be okay or should I assume that he may have some sort of autism as the doctor suggested?

Coffeemachine Wed 09-Mar-16 18:57:09

I have a child with severe ASD and learning diffs and she smiled at 2 weeks. HV and GP saw it and commented it was early. no idea about the significance of (not) smiling but I am pretty certain it is not related to ASD (it isn't part of the diagnostic criteria either).

Did the paed discharge you when you saw him at 6 weeks? Would probably run it via GP if no paed review is planned.

minniemama1421 Wed 09-Mar-16 19:43:26

He asked us to come back and see him at 3-4 months for a follow up. I don't know if I'm just comparing him to my daughter too much. She smiled at 9 days and was very advanced with all other milestones.
He just seems a bit slower with things. He doesn't smile, in fact he doesn't really have any facial expression at all. Like he doesn't raise his eyebrows or frown or anything else. He just stares at you. He's just started making oohs and aahs which is reassuring that he is developing somehow but it's just stuck in my head what the doc said about aspergers. Like I say it wouldn't make a difference to me either way but I'd just like to know what's ahead

Fugghetaboutit Wed 09-Mar-16 19:49:18

I would say don't get too worried just yet. He's still very little and had a more difficult start. He may just be a little behind than others. I'm sure he'll surprise you soon with a big smile smile

Starch1e Wed 09-Mar-16 19:50:31

My DD didn't smile until after 12 weeks, there were concerns about her eyesight and she was very colicky too. I also got told straight away that it could be an early sign of autism/ASD.
She's now a very happy normal 2.5 yr old with no issues and meeting all milestones.
No idea what really caused lack of smiling/eyesight issues but all started changing around 16 weeks. HTH.

barnet Wed 09-Mar-16 19:52:02

I don't know what's normal, but my DD didn't smile until she was 6 months. She was hypersensitive and having a very miserable time at the beginning with discomfort over milk intolerances and other issues. She grew out if it eventually and is a normal, if sensitive, 9 yr old now. I don't know whether that sheds any light on your DS's situation though.

barleysugar Wed 09-Mar-16 19:54:55

I think you should go back to paeds now he's 12 weeks, he really ought to have a thorough eye test, not smiling at his age could be a sign of visual delay.

MarthaMonkeynuts Wed 09-Mar-16 19:55:33

My son was diagnosed with ASD very early - aged 2 - but he smiled at 4weeks, giggled at 6weeks.

zzzzz Wed 09-Mar-16 19:56:36

I have never heard that children with Aspergers don't smile as babies shock. My son has ASD but was always a smiler. Is his eyesight ok?

zzzzz Wed 09-Mar-16 19:59:02

Any muscle weakness? Does his face scrunch up when he cries?

LurkonTAthread Wed 09-Mar-16 20:16:45

I haven't heard of a link with ASD, but I have heard that babies with hearing problems are often late to smile. Has his hearing been checked? (They do them newborn here)

minniemama1421 Thu 10-Mar-16 03:21:37

Thank you all you have been reassuring. He is still going through a tough time. He was born with severe bilateral talipes and has had casts on since 3 weeks to correct it. This is his last set then he hoes to boots and bars. I don't think I'd be up for smiling much if I had to go through all of what he has. In reply to Zzzzz, there don't seem to be any major eyesight issues. He was quite late in taking interest on studying faces etc, but now he stares at you and you can see him studying each part of your face properly. He still only follows objects some of the time. I think he's just a bit lazy with that. No his face doesn't scrunch at all when he cries. If he was in a room with other babies you'd have no idea it was him crying if it weren't for the fact he goes bright red. He's still not great at trying to keep his head up and such but he is making some progress with it.

zzzzz Thu 10-Mar-16 08:18:23

Babies aren't lazy but some are more placid than others. smile

Not scrunching his face up ever seems similar to not smiling. In fact in some ways more because crying is such a very time consuming part of any babies day.

How is his latch? I'm wondering if this is a weakness in his facial muscles, not he doesn't feel smiley, IYSWIM?

Does he turn his head if you stroke his cheek (ie rooting) ?

waitingforsomething Thu 10-Mar-16 12:22:56

My ds was full term and didn't smile till 13 weeks. He actually had quite crossed eyes that weren't yet focussing so HV thought this could be the reason.
He is 8 months now- his eyes are straight and he's a very smily baby! It's hard not to worry but I wouldn't fret too much yet. Hugs

minniemama1421 Thu 10-Mar-16 13:15:01

To begin with he wasn't great at sacking. That was part of the reason he got so poorly. He had a bit of a receding chin when he was born so the midwife put it down to that but once we'd got out of hospital a bit of trial and error with bottle teats and we found one that seemed to fit his mouth perfectly and it hasn't been a problem since. The same as with following objects, he only sometimes responds to having his face touched. Although saying that, I'm stroking his cheek as I write this and each time he has turned to me an cooed. He has great strength and very responsive to touch on the rest of his body. It just seems to be neck and above he struggles slightly to gain control.

yomellamoHelly Thu 10-Mar-16 14:23:04

Just to give a balance - one of my dc didn't smile for the first 3 months. Was an indication of other problems - though not aspergers. Though there's every chance it's his "normal" too if that makes sense and it's nothing.

However looking back there is nothing I would have changed in how I treated him and nothing the professionals could have done either. You might consider getting him assessed by a decent physio to get some pointers.

minniemama1421 Fri 11-Mar-16 08:06:31

If it was an indicator of something else it wouldn't make any difference to how we feel about him or treat him, at our 20 week scan there were a few abnormalities picked up and we were told that he probably had some form of chromosomal disability. Turned out to be nothing but we had gotten used to the idea so nothing would change that. I'd just like to know as early as possible for his sake more so.
I really just wondered if anyone had had their baby smile later than this and have no issues as every health professional we see seem to think that it's not normal but no one has come up with a reason for why. Maybe we need to switch doctors!
I've been quite reassured on here though so thank you all for your responses smile

Roomba Fri 11-Mar-16 08:28:55

My DS2 didn't smile until around 15 weeks, and even then it was difficult to tell if it was an actual smile for a week or two. I was panicking as DS1 smiled lots from about 5 weeks. DS2 has no issues whatsoever, aged 3.5. My GP and HV were very reassuring and weren't worried about it, but I suppose DS didn't have any other health issues so they could be a bit more relaxed about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now