Discipline for a strong willed 7 year old

(3 Posts)
Janeykaygee Sat 27-Feb-16 09:46:25

My eldest DS has been through a lot. As a result of this he feels the need to control everything and be 'in charge'.

He issues that have caused this have now been resolved and I am working hard to bring up two happy and healthy boys.

My problem is I am unsure how to deal with the controlling behaviour and also the disrespect. I know it is copied behaviour, but I need to find a way to deal with it before it gets out of hand as he gets older.

He has to do everything before his brother or he will hurt his brother in retaliation. If he feels something is unfair he will speak to me like I am the child and he is the adult. Or like I am dirt on his shoe.

If I discipline him he will then make threats. To run away from home. He will pick up a cup and threaten to throw it. Will refuse to get dressed for school or leave the house.

Now obviously I do not let him get away with this, but I am finding it difficult to deal with daily.

I am looking for ideas on age appropriate discipline and also a reward system that I can use for both boys (my youngest is 5).

I want to focus more on the positive behaviour and reward them for this in hopes that this will help reduce the negative if that makes sense.

This is my first time posting on here so please go easy on me grin

amarmai Sun 28-Feb-16 23:45:18

as he has been thru a lot and sounds as if he is copying behaviour that may have been demonstrated by? , i am thinking family counselling wd be a good idea.

MattDillonsPants Mon 29-Feb-16 08:33:27

I agree that if he has been through trauma then see your GP about getting him some counselling. Behavioural therapy can work wonders.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now