Advice please is this behaviour ASD or is it just a 6 year old help.

(17 Posts)
mummy2aisha Sun 21-Feb-16 17:52:04

1. She can see there is a hot kettle but stands next to it even those you told her its there she will forget its hot.

2. She never watches where she is standing or leaning. I.E she will lean her hair clothes over food even those you told her probably a 100 times. a glass of juice no matter how many times you say at the table move your cup she will but her arm will always be ready to knock it off.

3. We are having a kitchen fitted I have told her at least 100 times to put her shoes on she never remembers

4. Walking down the street if you don't tell her she will walk into a bin or lamp post. I always have to watch where she is walking she doesn't

5. In the supermarket every time she will stand to close never remembers and get hit with the basket

6. Suitcase left on the floor she will stand on not thinking I may break this.

7. She always walks in front of people then stops still and trips you up

8. She has no spacial awareness she is very in your face

9. She never remembers what you told her.

Sorry to sound moaning but Im at the end of my tether. Is this ASD will she grow out of it because if she is like this when she 16 she will lose a lot of friends its only because she is 6 that people excuse it.I dont know how to change this behaviour

ToInfinity Sun 21-Feb-16 17:55:50

Doesn't sound like ASD to me.

How is she with her peers? At school?

Have her teachers mentioned anything?

Witchend Sun 21-Feb-16 17:58:32

Not asd to me either. Sounds like being 6yo and needing to be reminded 20 times. Frustrating, but they grow out of it.

Believeitornot Sun 21-Feb-16 17:59:01

Basically to boil it down, she doesn't listen and is in her own world?

Sounds like my ds who's 6. Not always - but a lot of the time. He tells me he doesn't always "hear me"

I don't think he has ASD or anything like that. I just have to look him in the eye and make sure he did hear and I double check with him.

I've noticed if I praise him specifically for something he has done well, he does more of it. Eg look him in the eye and say "ds, you did a great job of doing X, I bet you were pleased about it" (as opposed to a generic "good boy")

Fairylea Sun 21-Feb-16 18:02:17

My son is nearly 4 and has asd and a lot of what you've written could apply to him, not having very good spatial awareness is very common in asd and he also has problems with comprehension so wouldn't understand someone saying something was hot etc. Having said that - asd is wide and varied and it's impossible to diagnose via the Internet! It can take years for a diagnosis at all, so if you have any concerns go to your GP and get them to refer you to a paediatrician for more assessment.

Frusso Sun 21-Feb-16 18:15:09

It doesn't shout asd, although if you do have concerns on top of what you have mentioned then do ask gp for a referral.
Being told 20odd times sounds about right to me, I'm still telling my 10yo things repeatedly.

I was a clumsy kid (under 10yrs) and well known for walking into lampposts and stuff. I'm most part I grew out of it, although I still walk into corners of tables and get caught on door handles now when I'm not paying enough attention.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mummy2aisha Sun 21-Feb-16 18:36:45

Some great advice thanks everyone. She has been diagnosed with ASD but when you get told you just get told to get on with it. I don't know if she is so forgettful or clumsy because of ASD. She puts her shoes on so I did praise her lots like beileveitornot said, very good idea. Its so frustrating when over weeks and months you rmind them the same things that are very dangerous and they never remember. My daughter did have speech therapy still does a bit at school. She isnt very good at explaining herself and some is very stimming in busy places. Often she do off talking about space or door numbers on the bus when its full to sooth the noise and busyness on the bus.

PolterGoose Sun 21-Feb-16 18:39:48

Is she hypermobile?
Has she seen an OT for sensory/motor difficulties, sounds to me like she's got really poor proprioception (the sense that tells us where all the bits of our body are without having to look) and maybe some deep pressure and weighted therapy would help.

mummy2aisha Sun 21-Feb-16 18:50:26

PolterGoose sounds interesting. I will ask school to check and look out for signs I keep an eye out to thanks.

1to10andstartagain Sun 21-Feb-16 21:25:01

Have you looked at condition called Dyspraxia ? used to be called "clumsy child syndrome"- it sometimes occurs with asd , I agree with poltergoose about proproception and asd but it may be worth getting professional opinion on Dyspraxia.
Also verbally telling her what to do , not to do, will be really difficult for her to retain the information and use it at the right time. writing things down will be much more understandable (google carol gray social stories).
People with autism have real difficulty with multi - sensory processing , simply put they may not hear when they are concentrating on looking where they are going or may be clumsy when trying to listen
all the best x

mummy2aisha Sun 21-Feb-16 21:42:22

I will speak to her school SEN manager and see what she thinks. The multi tasking sounds very much like her.

BarbarianMum Mon 22-Feb-16 10:48:35

No general advice but a (hopefully) helpful hint for the drinks thing. Make a flat red spot, slightly bigger than a standard coaster, and each meal place it where you want her drink to go. Rule is then: drinks only on the spot. I find this workss better than saying "be careful of your drink" because mine, at 6, didn't have good enough judgement to work out where was a good place for it.

mummy2aisha Mon 22-Feb-16 12:27:29

I will definitely give that coaster idea a go. After a few goes hopefully she will get it bless her.

Paddypaws3 Mon 22-Feb-16 12:35:26

I thought dyspraxia too.

dodobookends Mon 22-Feb-16 12:49:45

Has she had her eyesight tested recently?

mummy2aisha Tue 23-Feb-16 16:03:05

Yes I had both ear and eyes tested .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now