Constantly threatening to kill himself

(4 Posts)
shazzarooney99 Sun 14-Feb-16 10:49:10

So to give you a bit of background,my child is 8, hes been in the system since he was 2 and a half after the health visitor said he had developmental delay,he had some very strange behaviours, very repetitive ect.

Anyway he started nursery who got an ed pych out who said put him on school action plus immediately, anyway behaviours continues at home and started settling down a bit at school.

We are under salt, peadatrician,audiologist (for hypercussis) Private Ot came into school and basically said he has sensory processing disorder.

Now we have been back and forth to cahms who have said they can do nothing for him as he needs an Asd aseessment.

Meltdowns are not as frequent as every day as they were, however they are getting worst where he is trying to kill himself or is extremley aggressive and will throw anything in sight hes has smashed a number of items including my phone, his brothers iphone,xbox and the list goes on.

I have had him to hospital twice for threatening to kill himself, i should have taken him more to be honest but we ride it out.

We are currently waiting for the ed pych to come into school and has a salt asssesment done which points to autism.

But what can we do? how can i stop this? i havent put this on the sen boards as i thought i may get more answers here.

Thanks for being patient and reading all this.

MrsDeVere Sun 14-Feb-16 13:33:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IsItMeOr Sun 14-Feb-16 13:34:18

I would encourage you to post on the SEN boards, as that's where the expert posters congregate.

Sorry that it sounds like you have been going through the mill with DS for a long time.

I think your question is how can you help DS so that he doesn't want/try to kill himself?

As he has a sensory processing disorder, and possibly autism, then the best answer that we've been given to that for our DS is that you try to find out what is causing the sensory distress/anxiety and remove/reduce it where you can, and support your DC to build up their skills to navigate it where you can't avoid it.

Getting a diagnosis does seem to help parents and professionals to understand things that are more likely to help DC. So I would be finding out who is looking after your DS's referral for an ASD assessment, and make sure that they are updated on the problems you describe, including the self-harming.

It sounds like you are already pursuing an EHCP?

At home we have found the Explosive Child helpful. Also tips we got from the Early Birds Plus course.

shazzarooney99 Mon 15-Feb-16 07:44:22

Thanks guys im going to put it on the sen boards, i thought i may get more replies here xxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now