Pre-school without the lovey!

(9 Posts)
Sairyuk Thu 04-Feb-16 10:37:23

My DD is 2.5 and she has a beanie tigger that she carries everywhere (his name is rara). She strokes his tail at bedtime or when she needs comfort.

She currently takes him to the childminders with her but he seems to be the base of some issues (other children taking him/playing with him/hiding him) and this has now made her not want to go to the childminders anymore. I'd like to try and get her to start leaving him at home during the day, especially as she starts pre-school in September I'd like her to be used to not having him with her by then.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Mynd Thu 04-Feb-16 12:04:16

I had a similar issue with DD. I told her that I was going to drop DD off at the childminders and that teddy is now old enough to go to teddy school and learn all about being a clever teddy. Teddy stayed in the car when I dropped off DD, with DD saying 'bye bye teddy!'. She then was later picked up with teddy in the car, where he told her all about teddy school. It really helped her look forward to proper school, too.

Eminado Thu 04-Feb-16 12:07:31

We have Monkey and every morning we have a routine for putting monkey back to bed in her cot as he will be sleeping until she gets home from nursery so we kiss
Him, tuck him in and say bye bye.

Monkey is like my 2nd child as i also have to feed him pretend bananas and put hair clips on him hmm

Sairyuk Thu 04-Feb-16 12:17:15

Thank you! I love the school idea!

Eminado I feel your pain. I have to nappies on rara when we are at home confused, he seems to have a dirty nappy every 30 seconds! shock

WhatTheActualFugg Thu 04-Feb-16 12:19:37

Why do you want your DD to leave her comforter at home when she starts pre-school?

My DD's school reception children are allowed to take in one home toy and if they need it as a comforter they can have it.

I don't think the issue here is the tigger, it's the childminder.

Sairyuk Thu 04-Feb-16 12:28:54

I'm worried if she's upset about a child taking it at the childminders it may happen more at preschool (more children/bigger children) I'm also not sure of the preschool rules about children taking their special toy with them.

ShesGotLionsInHerHeart Thu 04-Feb-16 12:32:54

Our kids stopped taking their favourite toys to the CM because they were always the source of trouble with other kids. I just told them they couldn't take them any more and they had to stay at home. <shrugs>

She'll just get used to it.

WhatTheActualFugg Thu 04-Feb-16 12:35:22

Surely it's up to the CM to make sure the other children aren't taking her tigger off her? That's what I would expect from any half decent pre-school or school. It's just not nice behaviour, is it. More little mite.

Mrsmulder Thu 04-Feb-16 12:46:27

Ds's preschool don't allow toys from home. I can totally understand it to be honest, they are likely to put it down somewhere and someone else will pick it up or it will get lost etc.

I have found that with things like this (it was a dummy with ds) that we tend to overthink it and they are actually ok with change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now