Toddler hurts me by accident

(5 Posts)
WalkingBlind Thu 04-Feb-16 09:42:33

I have a 3 yr old DD and she is forever causing me injury but none of it is intentional. She doesn't hit or bite, etc... But she is SO clumsy and doesn't pay any attention to what she's doing.

She literally throws herself around with no regard for safety, no matter how many times I drill it into her to be careful.

I get jumped on, headbutted, tripped up. I'm over 8 month pregnant and the amount of times I've had to say not to stand on my bump is unreal.

She has plenty of discipline and will be told off just so she knows to calm down. But she isn't doing it to be naughty, she's just over excited sad When she's in that way literally nothing but removing her from the situation works but by this time the damage is done (to me). And if we're in public other people 100% encourage her and tell me to "leave her be she's just having fun" confused I don't want her to feel guilty or ruin her fun and I know kids get hyper but I've got a bust lip, a broken nose and a very sore baby bump!

She feels absolutely awful afterwards by the way, says sorry relentlessly and that she didn't mean it and she was trying to be careful but got excited. I'm at a loss, anyone?

TryingtobePrepared Mon 08-Feb-16 22:30:50

Don't know if it would help but what about gymnastics, tumble tots or a sports thing, might help her with coordination and spatial awareness. Dd1 seemed to get much more aware of her own strength and ability in gymnastics. Also when dd2 came along I loved the opportunity to have a hot drink with just the baby to entertain while someone else wore out dd1!

Choughed Mon 08-Feb-16 22:35:43

She's old enough to know what "gently" means. And she'll need to be gentle once her sibling arrives!

Haggisfish Mon 08-Feb-16 22:37:09

Ds is exactly the same. Sadly, dh is also the same!! We are doing gymnastics but I try not to be too cross if it is a genuine accident.

MyKingdomForBrie Mon 08-Feb-16 22:37:29

I second some kind of physically demanding hobby to wear her out and get her climbing/jumping etc energy out of the way..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now