babies first word

(5 Posts)
Pooshy Mon 01-Feb-16 13:44:03

When did your LO start talking? Baby centre says it should be between 11 and 14 months, and mine is almost 14 months but not saying words. She does babble but in worried about it as her uncle has severe speech disabilities

Joopy Mon 01-Feb-16 15:36:01

Don't worry too much, mine didn't really start talking till 20 months. He still doesn't link words together at 2 years but he's vocabulary is increasing every day and he understands a lot.

Plateofcrumbs Mon 01-Feb-16 15:58:12

For every baby that's chatting away in full sentences at 12 months, there are those who don't have a word to say for many months after that, and both are 'normal'.

Mine started at 15months, before which he was babbling and pointing at stuff with some kind of accompanying noise. Gradually his noises started becoming more consistent - 'ba' for ball and 'ca' for car were his first words.

purpleme12 Mon 01-Feb-16 23:21:19

My baby didn't say a word til 18 months then had about 5 words for a few months then they started coming. Don't worry it's too early to worry about that yet.

DramaAlpaca Mon 01-Feb-16 23:26:41

Babbling at 14 months is perfectly normal. As long as it's clear she's understanding, that's the most important thing at this stage.

Mine were all different. DS1 didn't say much at all until 18 months, whereas DS2 could speak in full sentences at that age. DS3 was somewhere in between.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now