Resources/tips to help with teaching a child to read

(9 Posts)
Freyathecatt Sun 31-Jan-16 13:38:00

My son is making reasonably credible attempts to sound out words phonetically, and he is trying this pretty regularly.

Can any of you recommend any resources (books/games/apps) to help teach him to read or do you have any tips as to how to go about helping him get to grips with it.

Thanks

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 31-Jan-16 13:40:05

Reading to him together really helps and then talking about the story.
Reading Eggs is a good app.

kmarie100 Sun 31-Jan-16 19:04:03

My kids enjoy the ready for phonics app from ladybird books.

Miloarmadillo1 Sun 31-Jan-16 19:22:29

Teach your Monster to Read - free website ( and I think app now) from the Usborne foundation.

Ferguson Sun 31-Jan-16 19:24:46

Is he in a Reception class?

Sharing books with him is the most important thing - and non-fiction, not only stories. I think traditional books are preferable to 'apps', but then one can't halt the progress of 'Tech'.

Encourage construction, Duplo, Lego, making jigsaw puzzles, role-play, playing in the park/garden. And don't neglect number work, counting one-to-one correspondence, 'tea party, how many cups, plates are needed? Share biscuits amongst so-many teddies, etc.

This is useful book that will support him through primary school and beyond:

An inexpensive and easy to use book, that can encourage children with reading, spelling and writing, and really help them to understand Phonics, is reviewed in the MN Book Reviews section. Just search ‘Phonics’ and my name.

educatingarti Mon 01-Feb-16 11:26:39

I have put together a leaflet of phonic games and activities you can try with him. If you want to pm me an email address I'll email you a copy. Might be something in there that could help. I'm also happy to mail it to anyone else who pms me an email.

EssexMummy1234 Tue 02-Feb-16 22:32:09

alphablocks

BlueChampagne Wed 03-Feb-16 13:35:59

Pocketphonics app

vanessaLondon Sat 26-Mar-16 12:14:30

We're using Sounds English app. I heard good things about it from school. My son really likes it and I can see his reading (and enthusiasm!) is improving.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now