Is there some developmental leap around 3.3 years old??

(6 Posts)
GingerDoodle Sun 31-Jan-16 13:10:27

So DD is, when in a good mood, a really charming kid, very polite, interactive and reasonably well mannered. However I am knackered and really need reassurance the following is just her being 3 and that it will pass!!

In the last few weeks she has:

Developed a totally out of the blue fear of turtles riding ghosts (mainly at bedtime so I'm guessing nightmare)

Become horrendously hard work - everything is a negotiation. One sweet is never enough. Changes her mind, decides she hates dinner but then will eat it all. Basically, when the mood takes her, just will not do as she is told.

Regressed to having major meltdowns over knickers (she's always on and off hated knickers /socks) but we had pretty much got over it.

Developed a habit of picking the skin on her fingers

Has bolted a couple of times when we are out (something she has never ever done and she knows I will not tolerate)

Wants me to carry her (I physically can't so she has the optioin of buggy / walk or sling on my back)

To be fair in last 8 weeks she's given up all but 1 bedtime dummy, has finally given up pooing in pull-ups, we've all been ill and started doing her first full day at nursery (she's worse when tired but the above can be anytime!).

Cheesecrumpets01 Mon 01-Feb-16 21:29:10

I could have written this my self about our DD who is 3.4 !!!
She is usually as good as gold, happy little laid back girl who is a joy to be around.

The last few weeks she has started having nightmares about dragons in her bedroom, won't settle at night, which is odd because she LOVES her sleep.

Everything we do, she has to do her self, if I need to help her, for example pouring milk into her cereal because she will make a huge mess so it's just easier to help her, turns into a melt down.

She asked for some fruit so I cut us both some up, she asked for plum and grapes and I had some pear. I put a few bits of pear on her plate and she got that wobble in her voice like she was about to cry and told me she didn't like pear - so I took it off her plate- cue a melt down because she wanted pear?!?!? hmm

Now has selected hearing when asked to do something. Or hears but uses every excuse under the sun to not do what is being asked. I need a wee, I have to close this door, oh what about that one, I forgot to turn the light off, no mummy the didn't flush the chain, wait I need some socks....... Then I end up telling her off which causes more tears.

She has begun picking her nails, both fingers and toes and keeps ripping them down really low so they get sore.

She complains she is poorly, tired, legs hurt and won't walk anywhere. She wants to go feed the ducks/park etc but within 30 seconds of being out the house she is whinging she can't walk.

We have recently taken away dummy, then shortly after she got a cold. So wondering if this is related. Either way its just non stop tears, strops, arguing the point and tantrums.

BertieBotts Mon 01-Feb-16 21:30:00

No I think three year olds just go to some kind of secret "how to be a pain in the bum" school when they are sleeping.

BertieBotts Mon 01-Feb-16 21:32:22

I really don't think it's a coincidence that state childcare begins at 3 in pretty much every country in the world.

Just order in crates of gin now.

Oh, and go and look up the Classics thread "If my three year old was on AIBU". Keeps you sane grin

BertieBotts Mon 01-Feb-16 21:33:05

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mumsnet_classics/1301196-If-my-3yo-had-access-to-AIBU

BertieBotts Mon 01-Feb-16 21:36:25

And this (Showing the age of my no-longer-3yo now...)

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/behaviour_development/801370-Illogical-reasons-for-tantrums-in-toddlers-Share-with-me-please

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now