Toys and books for 9 month old - 1 year old

(14 Posts)
pregnantgrump Wed 27-Jan-16 18:52:07

Would appreciate recommendations for my little one, who is very busy and active. He loves being read to, musical instruments, balls and sensory toys. He is 7 months now, but I want to plan our toy and book budget for him for the six months. What I've noticed is that some toys work very well and others he just ignores. So trying to maximise successes. Book wise he likes tactile books and ones with rhyming. Thanks in advance.

pregnantgrump Wed 27-Jan-16 18:52:50

Should add that he is trying furiously to crawl.

Haahooooo Wed 27-Jan-16 21:13:40

Real hits here around that age were vtech walker (or similar), tomy eggs and fisher price garage with cars to roll down the ramp. Books wise the "that's not my..." range, and Spot.

Barmaid101 Wed 27-Jan-16 22:15:58

Fisher price money pig! My dd loves it and it's very good for coordination and will last a while as it has different stages.
Also the beat bo is great, she loves this too and loves looking at the colours and bopping to the music, as she gets older she should then be able to follow the instructions

Barmaid101 Wed 27-Jan-16 22:17:12

Oh and the tesco brand can't remember what it is called has a fab Tongan stacker with a giraffe top, cheap and very sturdy my little one got it at 10 months and still plays with is now at 17months

pregnantgrump Wed 27-Jan-16 22:22:40

Thanks for these! They are great - has a walker but no garage or piggy bank. Any other books? Has that's not my range and spot.

imwithspud Wed 27-Jan-16 22:22:56

I find stacking cups brilliant at this age. Dd1 used to love putting them inside of each other.

Vetch walker is a classic too.

The Lamaze toys are fab too.

eurochick Wed 27-Jan-16 22:25:01

That's Not My... books
Vetch walker

- both seconded

KP86 Wed 27-Jan-16 22:30:25

Jump on eBay or gumtree and look for a bulk second hand lot of toys. Then if some are no good you haven't wasted a lot of money.

At that age my DS liked his fisher price activity table, balls (of any kind), and a bit of car action (his current obsession at 21m). Books-wise, 'that's not my...' is a winner here, and any others that have pop up or slide up bits.

Also consider a toy library. We are members of a local one, it costs £8/year and we pay 50p-£1.50 to hire toys for a fortnight. They have all sorts, and it's so good for trialling stuff to see what really gets played with.

Barmaid101 Wed 27-Jan-16 22:47:13

That zoo book is good I wrote to the zoo to send me a pet.... Especially with the flaps and the little cardboard books with different themes, colours numbers animals etc

minipie Wed 27-Jan-16 22:55:29

DD is 10 months and loves:

- vtech walker
- tomy eggs
- soft toys (weirdly! Dd1 had no interest at this age)
- books with sturdy flaps - eg Guess What? books. Some of the younger Julia Donaldson might suit your DS too. Hungry caterpillar and the others by the same author, in board form. Goodnight Moon.
- Musical/sound making toys - maracas etc
- Moving toys eg the ELC push n go crab.
- Fisher price activity board from the 1970s (assume there is a newer one!)
- Cars and balls

Keep meaning to get her a shape sorting toy of some sort

Barmaid101 Thu 28-Jan-16 00:29:34

Argos do a fab shape sorter for £10 think it's on the two for £15 chad valley stacking things, anything that stacks as well!

Bluecarrot Thu 28-Jan-16 00:41:57

Books wise, we mainly use the library (at least once a week, usually twice, getting 9 books a time) and if she really loves a book after the 3 month max hire has run out, I buy it.
Only books I've bought are Dear Zoo and Love you through and though (talks about fingers and toes etc so they can point to each as you read)
She's been bought tonnes more but I don't think I'd have bought any of them tbh.

Another fun thing to do is take an old board book ( even a charity shop one with drawing all over it!) and stick photos of your family members and close friends in it. My dd just turned 2 and looks through hers a few times a week. I made it when she was about 6 months old.

Toys - at this age tots groups and charity shops are your best friend. They will grow out of things so quickly now. At that age my dd loved kitchen utensils the most!
Otherwise,
An o ball
Push along toys

Bubbles
Music CDs with action songs

shiteforbrains Thu 28-Jan-16 00:56:39

DS is 9 months and just walking. Toys would be V tech walker, little tykes cars and trucks, toot toot vehicles/animals, lamaze musical octopus, duplo, simple wooden shape sorters, glockenspiel, foam cubes, maracas (remote control, shoes and mobile phone).

Books would be 'that's not my' range (fox and kitten are the favourites) and fox's socks/postman bear/hide and seek pig etc by the same people that did the gruffalo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now