Has your 11 year old got a passion?

(25 Posts)
originalmavis Sun 17-Jan-16 21:43:32

A hobby, sport, interest? DS hasn't really got 'a thing' and DH thinks that all kids do.

I don't remember being particularly obsessed with anything at that age though.

steppemum Sun 17-Jan-16 21:48:25

no.
ds aged 13 loves football, but no more than the average kid

dd1 aged 11, doesn't have a thing. I few things flit through, none last long.
She has out of school things she enjoys, eg scouts and playing in a brass band, but none are a passion.

originalmavis Sun 17-Jan-16 21:50:14

I knew it! I bloody knew it! Whingey moaney kid needs a passion my big fat arse.

coffeeisnectar Sun 17-Jan-16 21:54:39

My 10 year old has swimming. And cross country. She loves sport. She also loves art in all forms, obsessed with drawing and caught her watching a programme on the history of Scottish art on her tablet when she was meant to be watching the dumping ground the other night.

ifcatscouldtalk Sun 17-Jan-16 22:00:47

My 11 yr old does dance club, wouldn't say its a passion. Infact since yr 6 she seems to find all the clubs she use to love boring. Am hoping when she starts her secondary school we will get some enthusiasm back.

steppemum Sun 17-Jan-16 22:01:11

caught her watching a programme on the history of Scottish art on her tablet when she was meant to be watching the dumping ground

grin grin

SavoyCabbage Sun 17-Jan-16 22:01:32

Mine is interested in a few different things. She plays sports and her favourite thing to do, besides looking n the mirror of course, is drawing.

MirandaWest Sun 17-Jan-16 22:02:01

My 12 year old currently has a passion for the guitar. Is very into playing it at the moment smile

ifcatscouldtalk Sun 17-Jan-16 22:07:08

I laughed at the "looking in the mirror" comment up thread. Weve got a real mirror hogger here too. grin

G1veMeStrength Sun 17-Jan-16 22:08:52

Almost 11 year old has loved football for years. 9 year old loves everything fleetingly until the next thing arrives.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Sun 17-Jan-16 22:13:33

Unicorns. DD (11) is obsessed. And Minecraft. However, as far as sports, interests, hobbies, go, no - I think this is the age they suddenly care what their friends are into and being too enthusiastic about anything might leave them open to teasing.

OvO Sun 17-Jan-16 22:30:21

My DS(11) is mad about football. Will train in torrential rain and smile about it.

He's decided he wants to be a professional player but if that doesn't work out he'll be a coach. I like that he has a plan. grin

blueshoes Sun 17-Jan-16 22:37:31

My dd has a passion for her phone.

OldBeanbagz Mon 18-Jan-16 09:57:29

My 11yo DS has two - running & cars. His sister at the same age was obsessed with her phone!

Seeline Mon 18-Jan-16 10:18:39

My DS at 11 had no real passions apart from TV

DD loves dancing - 3 types each week, but I wouldn't call it a passion as such. She has done it since she was 2.5, but isn't usually too upset if she cannot make a lesson.

whojamaflip Mon 18-Jan-16 10:22:29

Gymnastics - eats, sleeps and breathes it! Our entire life revolves round her training schedule - after school 4 nights a week and all day Saturday. Completely driven by her - I just provide transport and money !

Keeptrudging Mon 18-Jan-16 10:23:06

Yes. Playing instruments, gymnastics, dance, other sports. Unfortunately she has more than one passion. She only ever adds more, she loves her hobbies. I don't love driving her to them. Not all children do though, each to their own.

CPtart Mon 18-Jan-16 10:31:28

Not a passion, no.
He plays football and does scouts but would be just as happy if allowed to play on screens all day.

Contraryish Mon 18-Jan-16 10:33:28

Another passionless 11 yo here.

mumsnit Mon 18-Jan-16 17:02:59

I wish! He does nothing but play on his X Box or phone unless I drag him away - no clubs, nothing!

Looking in the mirror would be a real step up too. He won't even get a hair cut never mind a passion <sigh>

originalmavis Mon 18-Jan-16 18:06:00

One won't even brush his. He looks like stig of the dump (but cleaner).

Clueing4looks Mon 18-Jan-16 18:11:41

11 yo DS likes Lego and Xbox. No actual hobby but does get obsessed with one thing for weeks then just drops it for another as quick as a click I feel sorry for his future girlfriends

DD12 never really had a 'thing' except collecting her monster high dolls. Started secondary in September and now does steel drums, guitar, dance and is obsessed with Instagram and anime, and wants to do LARP-ing.

Jw35 Mon 18-Jan-16 18:27:01

12 year old dd is obsessed with cats. But they're just so cuuuuute! Does my head in grin

Whathaveilost Mon 18-Jan-16 18:31:41

Both DS's are older now but when they were 11 they were both obsessed with playing Ice Hockey. Something they both still do.

GotABitTricky Wed 20-Jan-16 07:50:25

DS age11 can't get his head away from phone.
Having to make him surrender it to us 8pm each night, as friends are texting 1am and 3am (he has shown me proof).
How other kids get up for school I don't know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now