DD's height is off the chart

(11 Posts)
BettyBleue Sat 16-Jan-16 14:23:48

Hi, my DD is 6 months old. She weighed 9 pounds 10 oz at birth and has always been very big. I measured her height today and she is just outside of the 99.6 percentile, so off the chart basically. I am quite short at 5 ft 1, but her father is 6 ft 3 so I guess she gets her height from him.

She is growing so fast, it's worrying me. She is almost too big for some of her 6-9 month body suits has outgrown a couple of pairs of 6-9 month tights.

I am worried that she's growing at at abnormally fast rate. I'm taking her to see a GP next week, but they are pretty rubbish at my surgery so I don't have much hope of them doing anything.

Has anyone else had similar concerns about their child growing too fast and if so, what did you do?

Thank you.

DrE678 Sat 16-Jan-16 14:25:56

I wouldn't worry but do take her to the doctor for reassurance. My DCs have always been at the top of the percentiles- DS at 99.5 and DD at 97. Some kids are just very tall and they aren't off the chart yet. DS was born at 104! Ouch!

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sat 16-Jan-16 14:28:47

My DD2 is also 6 months and also off the chart for height (98th centile for weight). DD1 is and always has been 50th centile. Didn't really occur to be to be worried but now I am! I'm 5ft 5 and DH 6ft but the females in DH's family are all at least 5ft 8 so I put it down to that.

redcaryellowcar Sat 16-Jan-16 14:34:19

I have two ds, they are both very tall and at points been at the top or off the chart. I would go to see your hv at clinic to get her weighed and measured properly to make sure you aren't worrying unnecessarily. My hv was always happiest if they seemed to be following a line, my ds just seemed to be on the top one!

Muskey Sat 16-Jan-16 14:43:24

Up until recently my dd was always the tallest in her class. I always had to buy the size bigger to cater for her height. However her growth has slowed down (she is now 12)so now she is 4th tallest in her class. Some members of my family are 6ft plus (both male and female) whilst my mum and sister are barely 5 foot. Things do even out sooner or later but if you are bothered do take your dc to the gp if nothing else for peace of mind

CurlyhairedAssassin Sat 16-Jan-16 14:49:36

Well SOMEONE has to be right above the top centile line. I wouldn't worry about it particularly at this stage. If she starts to go way above the top line I.e. Not follow her OWN line then I would investigate with the GP. So if her growth curve veers steeply upwards rather than her growing at a steady rate (which started high anyway), then I would get it looked at.

CurlyhairedAssassin Sat 16-Jan-16 14:55:46

Oh, and her clothes size sounds more than fine to me. DS1 was always at least in the next size up basically from birth. (Tall and skinny, although starting to fill out now). He is just turned 12 now and outgrowing age 13 school trousers. He has been the same all the way through and I used to marvel at it rather than be worried. When he was younger and skinnier I could never find trousers to fit properly as they were always too big round the waist, if I got them to fit his height.

He is adult size 8 shoes which is BIG for a 12 year old. He went straight into toddler shoes and missed the softer baby ones.

Some kids ARE just bigger. DS2 is bang on 50th centile for both height and weight by the way.

CurlyhairedAssassin Sat 16-Jan-16 14:58:36

One last thing, my HV always told me that it's quite an inaccurate measurement anyway, the height one, before they can stand up still. Lying them flat and pulling their legs out never seemed particular scientific to me, I used to agree!

BackforGood Sat 16-Jan-16 15:22:14

Her clothes sizes are fine - nothing to worry about. she started bigger than your average baby so at only 6 months, if she weren't considerably bigger than an 'average' measurement, then it would be quite a worry.
Also, measuring the 'height' of a baby is very inaccurate until they are able to be measured standing up. It's only a guide to check dc are growing at a steady rate.

SevenSeconds Sat 16-Jan-16 16:25:53

All my DC are very tall for their ages. I think it's a positive thing!

wonkylegs Sat 16-Jan-16 16:34:32

When DS was a baby he was very tall 99 percentile but now he's 7 he's about 65%ile.
He levelled off around 2-3 yrs old which I'm kinda glad of as whatever happens he's going to catch up with me relatively soon (I'm only 4'11)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now