16 mo and walking

(5 Posts)
LostAtTheFair Mon 11-Jan-16 09:10:53

My 16 month old DS has been crawling since he was 9 months old and is now a really fast crawler. He has been pulling himself up on furniture since he was 12 months. He has been cruising around taking steps and holding on to furniture, windowsills since 13/14 months. During the last 3 weeks, he has been able to pull himself up and walk with his walker cart.

The problem is, he usually has no interest in being upright and will cruise only when there is something higher up that he wants (eg a remote control on a sofa). He will only use his walker cart if we have company. He seems to think that as walking is harder than crawling and as he is so good at crawling, he won't bother with walking.

How can i help him to develop his interest in walking? Sitting on the floor in front of him while DH holds his hands to take steps to me doesn't work..

Hellohello1234 Mon 11-Jan-16 13:58:29

My LO has only just started walking and is almost 18 months. He didn't have much interest either but I didn't worry about it and left him to his own devices. They get there on their own and quite often it's all of a sudden. My LO only used his walker for a couple of weeks before taking off on his own...despite us having the thing sat around since he was about 9 months old!

PositivePete Mon 11-Jan-16 13:59:28

My DS didn't start walking till he was 19.5M. Why rush it?

Ferguson Mon 11-Jan-16 18:55:46

Our DS didn't walk until 18 months. They do things when THEY want to.

PositivePete Mon 11-Jan-16 19:11:50

Agreed. You can't force it. Mine didn't even crawl! .... bum shuffled.

Also, carried him ALL day until he could walk!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now