brushing 20mo teeth- help!!

(6 Posts)
justfivemoreminutes1 Tue 29-Dec-15 19:32:24

Hi all,

Has anyone got any tips on how to get toddlers' teeth brushed?! My DD has totally taken against it the last few months and I'm worried her teeth will be rotting :-(

I've tried doing my teeth at the same time/giving her the toothbrush, which is marginally more successful but her teeth still aren't getting cleaned really. Also tried tickling and sticking the toothbrush in during giggles with mixed success, but again not much proper cleaning happening!

Any suggestions gratefully received!! x

f1ddlesticks Wed 30-Dec-15 17:36:51

I've always found teeth brushing a nightmare. DD was never fooled by the whole teeth tickling, looking for bugs etc. She's 2y 3m.

I've resorted to one single five min episode of Peppa on the iPad while I brush them. If she doesn't open her mouth it goes off. Gives enough time for a thorough 2 mins of teeth brushing, plus hair brushing time (she has v curly long hair that gets easily matted!).

Previous to that we did bubble blowing in return for brushing a section - mummy brushes this bit then you get some bubbles. worked for a few weeks but was v long winded! But she got bored of bubbles!

I hated the 'just pin them down' / 'wrap in towel' technique - she got so strong it was a proper struggle and lots of tears. Not a nice way to end the day.

At least this way I know they're done properly and quickly.

UnplainJane Wed 30-Dec-15 19:54:15

Our 20mo can be a pickle with this too. I bought him a new toothbrush today and he opened his mouth wide for it! My brother bought a flashing light electronic toothbrush for his DS and he loved to use it!

Pidapie Thu 31-Dec-15 10:09:04

Have the same problem with my 22 month old sad Might try to do it in front of the tv, but he is so resistant. We got a lighting up electric one, it worked for about 1 week then he was bored with it. Now he just chews the toothbrush really, and I brush for a few seconds :S He is impossible to hold down too.

raisin3cookies Thu 31-Dec-15 10:15:30

Battery powered toothbrush for Christmas, job done. I can't get her to stop brushing her teeth sometimes! She is 2 years, 3 months.

Bigbagofchips Thu 31-Dec-15 19:29:09

Have you tried using an app on your phone? I have the Aquafresh Brushtime App on mine and it really helps when getting my 2.3 year old to brush his teeth!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now