DS's birthday party. Am I crazy?

(12 Posts)
hollingbury Thu 29-Oct-15 13:08:30

My son turns 5 soon. We've booked a place for a party. It's big - can hold up to 50 kids - with an outside space.

He's just started school but he has a lot of friends from his preschool and from time we've spent with others on the days he wasn't at school. Genuine friendships of his, not mine. And he's been asked to a lot of parties.

So, with some new school friends, the number comes out at 35. Am I nuts? It seems a lot but I can't work out how to cut the list down without offending anyone.

We have a music guy booked and I was going to organise some drawing and balloons and other fun, but not too structured stuff.

Thoughts?

chocadd1ct Thu 29-Oct-15 17:08:07

In the kindest possible way, you are deluded. No 5 year old has 35 genuine friends smile

Pobspits Thu 29-Oct-15 17:10:11

I had 27 at dd's 5th birthday party 2 weeks ago. She just started achool so invited her class then 9 or so friends outwith that. It was about 70/30 boys to girls. It was fine.

Pobspits Thu 29-Oct-15 17:11:07

Meant to say we invited about 34

HumphreyCobblers Thu 29-Oct-15 17:13:09

Not everyone will go, I would think that would be fine. Especially as the venue will hold that many.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JaniceJoplin Thu 29-Oct-15 17:36:30

You'll need a few helpers. We had 32 at DDs party. 3 adults, plus 2 entertainers. All 5 of us were completely overrun and would have been screwed completely if a few kind parents hadn't offered to stay and help. Set up, tables, chairs moved around, decorations, balloons, food and drinks, letting people in, saying hello to everyone, watching random kids messing about in the toilets, cutting cake, sorting bags to give out, ensuring no-one escapes, and then the clean up, it's a lot of work!

hollingbury Thu 29-Oct-15 20:14:16

No, that's probably true - they're not 'genuine' friends as such! That's overegging it. Hahaha! Thanks for the delusion warning chocaddict1! But he has groups from different areas of our life.

Anyway, that's all helpful, thanks so much.

Hoviscats Thu 29-Oct-15 20:20:39

Well if you are crazy so am I! I am doing the exact same thing on Saturday for DS's 5 birthday. Whole class coming (none declined) plus around 10 other friends. Probably mental but it's in a hall with an entertainer and I am expecting this is the only year I will do it as by next year the friendship groups at school will have bedded in so no need to invite the whole class!

hollingbury Fri 30-Oct-15 12:25:59

Hoviscats - good luck! Come back and tell me how it's gone. x

Hoviscats Sun 01-Nov-15 07:19:11

Well party was yesterday and it was totally fine! DS had a fantastic time and all the kids seemed to enjoy it. Entertainer was great so tbh all I had to do was help dish out food and pour drinks. Plenty of parents helped clear plates etc without being asked and I am lucky enough to have family around so we were all cleared up within 15 mins of the party finishing.

Pile of presents was crazy but it is all much appreciated and I figure this will be the biggest party he has so he may as well enjoy it!

amarmai Sun 01-Nov-15 22:46:29

We found a great venue for 5 year old gs's Bday party. He invited his Kg class and friends from nursery , so 40+ kids + siblings who just turn up and stay.It was a daycare setting which came with the teacher and 2 young helpers hired by her. She set up and supervised everything including coffee/teas for the adults. We took bday cake ,snacks, drinks and decorations and had pizza delivered. She and her helpers served and cleared up .It was the smoothest run Bday party ever and fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now