How the hell do I brush a baby's teeth?

(10 Posts)
shiteforbrains Wed 14-Oct-15 10:36:35

DS is 6m, he got his first tooth at 5m and second appeared this week.

He will be starting purees next week and I suppose I should be brushing his teeth?

How?!?!

Anything that goes near his mouth is chewed, and he won't spit toothpaste out or drink water from a cup.

Help!

dementedpixie Wed 14-Oct-15 11:31:49

You only use a smear of toothpaste so no need to spit it out. It's more to get them used to the brush in their mouth than to be totally effective with it.

dementedpixie Wed 14-Oct-15 11:35:13

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/looking-after-your-infants-teeth.aspx - gives a video on how best to do it.

blamethecat Wed 14-Oct-15 11:39:52

We had a brush baby brush, soft silicone type material so it can be chewed. Only problem I had was when he was a bit older and we swapped to a normal brush he chewed that too ! but that didn't last long. as others have said just a tiny smear of toothpaste so no need to spit/rinse.

rainbowunicorn Wed 14-Oct-15 12:19:43

No need to use water at all as you should not rinse after brushing teeth. Just a tiny smear of toothpaste on a baby toothbrush

Bejeena Wed 14-Oct-15 14:13:32

Just wait until 18 months and they refuse to open their mouths

BlueChampagne Wed 14-Oct-15 16:10:41

I found the little toothbrush that you put on your finger useful at this age.

shiteforbrains Wed 14-Oct-15 18:47:53

Thanks ladies I really appreciate the advice. smile

I will try the toothpaste on a bit of muslin today and investigate the finger toothbrush too. I think that would be easier as DS likes to grab spoons/Calpol syringes and try to shove them down his throat/in his eyes etc and a toothbrush would be too tempting!

Georgethesecond Wed 14-Oct-15 18:54:51

You give it to him and let him chew it until he is a bit bored of it. Then you go "aaah" also he does the same and when he opens his mouth you give his tooth a quick brush and that's it done.

Later you pin them down from behind and brush while they wail, that's not so much fun.

Georgethesecond Wed 14-Oct-15 18:55:38

also so

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now