Toys for 2 year old

(9 Posts)
purpleme12 Tue 01-Sep-15 22:55:56

I am thinking of my little girl's birthday and Christmas coming up and wondering if anyone can give ideas of what are some good toys for a 2 year old. To last her from just turning 2 to up to 3 years old.

Ferguson Tue 01-Sep-15 23:14:01

Something from the Duplo or Lego ranges, as there is a vast selection and they 'grow' with the child, and can be added to for many years.

Children need books at this age, to start to encourage a love of books, leading gradually to early reading skills.

Jigsaw puzzles, craft activities, child-safe scissors to cut up junk mail or brochures, and a scrap book to stick pictures into.

At 2 our DS was 'playing' on our Yamaha organ, and within a couple of years was playing music properly. So if you can afford it, a Keyboard can be the start of a lifelong involvement in music; not a 'toy' one, but 61 full size keys.

If possible AVOID screen based toys at this age, or DVDs. (Plenty of time for those when she is a lot older.)

purpleme12 Wed 02-Sep-15 10:19:49

Thank you :-)

Daffydil Wed 02-Sep-15 10:22:08

Duplo, playmobil 1-2-3, threading beads, toy food, happy land, cars, diggers, colouring books and crayons, books books books.

MiaowTheCat Wed 02-Sep-15 13:08:35

Duplo, wooden train set and some bits of Happyland more than others are big in our house - but DD2 (currently 2 1/2) is very mechanically minded and into putting things together and taking them apart again repeatedly.

Oh and play kitchen/food - that's been a hit with both kids - Wilkos do some lovely wooden play cakes with "candles" in and the like. My kids are very tall (I've got a 3 and a 2 year old) so unfortunately the little plastic play house they had was becoming quite a squeeze but it's all now taken over our garden summerhouse and DD2 will potter in there for hours! Little handbags and toy shopping baskets and then the cheapo shops for big plastic mixing bowls and wooden spoons to save you hunting down where all your kitchen stuff's walked off to when it's time to use it yourself.

DD2 also loves little board books - things like the little libraries ones you get with popular characters, and we got some that were really tiny number ones that doubled as building blocks and things that she's played with for hour upon hour till they started falling apart.

Artandco Wed 02-Sep-15 13:10:13

Brio train set. Mine have used from around 12 months and still play with approaching 6 years

purpleme12 Wed 02-Sep-15 20:55:12

Thanks everyone. X

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 05-Sep-15 10:39:17

DD had this food set when she was 2 and played with it for a couple of years.

What does she like to play with at playgroup?

Strawberrybubblegum Sat 05-Sep-15 20:07:14

Scooter, then balance bike closer to 3.
Little trampoline
Sand/water table
Art supplies: paint, brushes, apron, pens, crayons, chalk and blackboard, stickers, glue, coloured paper
Toy till and toy food
Dressing up 'props' rather than full costumes, eg firefighter hat, crown, fairy wings & wand, basket, cape
Train set
Cars, possibly toy garage if she likes them
First games: simple matching games like 'red dog, blue dog' and lotto, also pop up pirate and Mr potato head
Little world (like Happy land) and duplo/megabloks seem to popular at this age although my DD isn't very interested in either

Oh, and a child sized table and chairs is really great at this age: somewhere to do drawing / play shop etc. Really comes into its own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now