Cranial Osteopathy

(7 Posts)
daisyrose1984 Mon 20-Jul-15 11:07:53

Hi, I am considering taking my lo, aged 6 months to a cranial osteopath but am struggling to know if this is the right thing to do. My lo has been quite an unsettled baby since birth, screamed day and night in the early days. I planned to take her to a co at around four months but she began to settle a little more. However she still struggles with her sleep and seems generally less settled than most other babies I know and I am wondering if co may help however I am also concerned about the risks and ensuring that I find someone who is good at what they do. Has anyone had any positive or negative experiences in a similar situation or is anyone able to recommend anyone in the East Midlands? Many thanks smile

Pocket1 Mon 20-Jul-15 20:09:19

Hi sorry to hear your LO is so unsettled. DD was the same and I also took her to see a co - I don't think it made any difference but there was an underlying issue in that she had an intolerance to dairy and therefore my breast milk. She also had silent reflux. She cried day and night and was a terrible sleeper. Ask your gp to refer you to a paediatric consultant just to rule that out smile

18yearsoftrying Wed 22-Jul-15 10:58:19

Hi OP,

My DD had 3 sessions aged 16-19 weeks for reflux & insomnia but I found they did nothing.

I gave her a month off & then saw one that came highly recommended & after the very 1st session she was a completely different baby - everyone noticed it.

We did another 2 sessions as a top-up & touch wood, has remained the same since.

Initially she was awake for 96hour stints (I posted on MN for help at the time!) and now she does 12 hours overnight with daytime naps too.

Wishing you well with your little one x

Kafri Wed 22-Jul-15 15:55:54

Hi,

My experience was very much indifferent!!
We took ds along as he was a really unsettled baby and after exhausting all other options - medical things, old wives tales, things that johns great abut Sally's second cousin did etc it was quite literally the only thing left.
At the time I wasn't sure what I believed about it but it was simply a case of we'd tried everything else whether we believed it would work or not so why not CO!!

Anyway, he had 2 sessions. The guy was lovely. Refused to charge me for my sessions. He did what he did, sent me away to see if things kmproved. The second time he saw him he basically said that if they didn't improve after a second session then there was little he could do

So, it didn't work for us at all but it wasn't a horrid experience and I certainly wasn't ripped off by him.

CoteDAzur Wed 22-Jul-15 16:00:12

Like homeopathy, cranial osteopathy is based on a completely nonsense theory and is scientifically proven to work no better than placebo. Ben Goldacre clearly explains why.

Save your money, in other words. It's a phase and will pass, whether or not you spend your time and money on cranks who claim to feel pulses in your baby's spinal fluid.

notanotherword Wed 22-Jul-15 17:38:37

I've heard of this really working and would certainly give it a go with an experienced practitioner (in that particular field). Obviously anyone responding here is most likely to be giving anecdotal evidence though.

CoteDAzur Thu 23-Jul-15 14:01:58

If an adult were to actually move the plates of your little baby's skull by inflicting pressure from the outside, you should be very worried.

Thankfully, there is no such thing and "cranial osteopathy" is a total lie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now