21 month old speech

(7 Posts)
Lj8893 Sat 18-Jul-15 16:48:12

Dd is 21 months old and I don't know weather I should be concerned about her speech, every where I look suggests a different amount of words she should be saying.
She's very vocal and is always talking but most of it is gibberish and sounds.

She can say daddy, teddy, ball, cat, bubble, bath, pizza, bing, Pakka (as in makka Pakka), mmm nice, kite, car and baby.

She used to say mama but now just calls me daddy! And she has a few words for things which arnt right but I know what she means, for example gaga is banana.

Is she on track? And should I be worried about her loss of mama/mummy?

Lj8893 Sat 18-Jul-15 16:48:57

Oh and she can say hiya and bye.

chocnomorechoc Sat 18-Jul-15 21:28:22

at that age it is not that important what they say but what they understand and how they communicate.

can she follow simple instructions (go, get the ball! etc) and does she communicate with you (words but also pointing & gestures, nodding...). does she bring you things to show you?

any concerns about her hearing?

Lj8893 Sat 18-Jul-15 21:52:46

She can communicate, although she doesn't nod or shake her head.

I forgot to say her most common word is no, and she definitely uses it in context so I'm not worried there.

If I ask her to get a particular toy or teddy she will get it.

Christelle2207 Sat 18-Jul-15 22:48:43

Mine is 23 months and has about a dozen words. However he understands instructions really well and communicates, just not necessarily in English. My hv said not to worry. Some of his peers are way ahead, speaking in sentences but others say almost nothing.

ashesandfire Sun 19-Jul-15 17:25:44

This is interesting, my dd is also 21 months and I was wondering how normal her level of speech is, I was going to post about it myself. She says less than yours, mama/mumum, dadda, duck, no, wee, a few animal sounds like baa for sheep and what we think are her attempts at garden and rain. That's it. She understands so much though, follows all our instructions, knows her colours, identifies all her soft toys and animals etc. So hopefully it is nothing to worry about!

Lj8893 Sun 19-Jul-15 23:03:34

Well today she pointed at my mums computer which had a flower as her screensaver and said "pitty fower" so that was lovely and I'm less worried now!
And dh informs me that she said here you go to him the other day, but that seems pretty advanced so I will believe it when I hear it for myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now