Setting limits for 2 year old

(9 Posts)
grainmum Fri 03-Jul-15 14:04:35

Trying to work out our discipline strategy for DS who has just turned 2.

As an example this morning I was trying to make our bed. He kept climbing on it and standing on it which I would rather he didn't do in case he falls off and bumps his head. So I tell him to sit down because he might hurt himself, he does for a few seconds, then repeat. I take him off the bed, he climbs back on. Repeat. I suggest he goes to get a puzzle to do - he runs off for a few seconds but is back shortly, climbing onto the bed again. I end up just ignoring him doing the job as quickly as I can so I can play with him.

What did you do at this age? Is this a reasonable thing for him not to do? Any suggestions for effective strategies?

Trooperslane Fri 03-Jul-15 14:11:58

Watching with interest.

Looking at you, cheeky chops dd.

RobotHamster Fri 03-Jul-15 14:14:58

Hard, isn't it. Also watching with interest as my almost 2yo is a right bugger for things like this.

What I would think is just repeatedly dump him back on the floor, and ignore as much as possible, just get it done.

in reality, DD ends up in front of CBeebies while I rush around like a bloody maniac after the school run to get things done.

AndThisIsTrue Fri 03-Jul-15 14:23:28

I would probably have either got him to "help" by taking the dirty duvet to the the basket or something or gone and got him involved in some other game depending on how good he is at entertaining himself [or just put cbeebies on]
I just let DS clamber about on the bed/roll around on the duvet etc as I remember it being fun when I was little I can't blame him really! I save proper telling offs for really bad stuff like hitting.

Hezaire Fri 03-Jul-15 14:34:11

Another with nothing to comment but watching with interest, as they say. I have a 2 and a bit old and you have my sympathy

CityDweller Fri 03-Jul-15 14:39:22

I pick my battles. Something like you mention, I wouldn't get bothered about. Turn it into a game, chuck DD around the bed while I strip it, let her jump in the pillows/ duvet on the floor, etc.

Some things are non-negotiable though (brushing teeth, holding hands crossing road, not throwing her things out of frustration), pushing people, etc. With those things I either make her do it (hands, teeth) - or if she's throwing things I take them away. If she's pushing or shouting inappropriately I remove her from the situation and explain why.

flanjabelle Fri 03-Jul-15 14:42:27

Exactly the same as city. Something like that is not worth getting upset about. Play with him, let him jump around, be there to catch him if he goes to fall.

Work out what your must dos are and don't let everything else become a battle.

It's still distraction mostly at that age, though they're getting towards the point where no means no.

I had ds1 the day after DD's 2nd birthday and vividly remember while I was still unable to stand up quickly following the c- section that she decided to climb onto the windowsill each time I started to breastfeed newborn ds1 and stand poised at theedge shouting "Mummy look! [DDD'S name] is naughty!" so they do get it... 1, 2, 3 to stop started working around 2.5 with the threat of putting dd in her room as she hated being alone (fear of missing something) but it's a frustrating few months between 2 and 2.5 when they're a bit too feral to really get the concept of actions having consequences. ..

I'd let him bounce on the bed though wink

RobotHamster Fri 03-Jul-15 21:16:18

There is a degree of learn by doing though. Obviously not to the point where they'll hurt themselves, but there comes a point where they learn not to climb on things by falling off them. I'm just taking the sofa, or their bed, not the top of the stairs or anything

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now