7 month old still in our room!

(19 Posts)
Rose138 Sun 28-Jun-15 09:41:20

Hello,

Our son has just turned 7 months old. He was too big for his Moses basket at 3 months but we felt he was too young to be in his own room-maybe this is where we went wrong!-so we moved his cot in to our room. We said that at 6 months we would put the cot back in his room. We went on holiday when he was 6 and a half months so decided to wait as on holiday he would be in our room in a travel cot. Now we've been back from holiday for 2 weeks my husband keeps saying to me that he should be in his own room now.

I have 2 friends who still have their children in their rooms and they are over a year old and they keep telling me that they have no sleep and should've made the move earlier as now their little ones are so used to being in their room.

Is it terrible that he's still in our room? I get anxiety at the thought of him being in his own room but I don't know why-he's only across a very short hallway from our room! Any advice would be much appreciated please!

JimmyCorkhill Sun 28-Jun-15 09:48:26

DD1 was in our room till way past 13/14 months as we lived in a one bed flat! We found the transition to her own room so easy when we moved and put it down to the fact that she was so secure (meaning we hadn't moved her until she was old enough to cope with it). Lots of my ante natal group had the idea that if they didn't move their children into their own rooms by 6 weeks they would have missed their ideal opportunity hmm

DD2 was in with us till past a year old too as we didn't want her disturbing DD1 (in a 2 room house now). Again, she has been fine.

The only downside to us about having them in our room for so long is that WE have to be quiet/not have the light on to read etc.

If you want to try moving him do it just for his daytime naps. That way he can get used to sleeping in a different room. You can also keep the baby monitor going when he tries a night alone.

ShipShapeAhoy Sun 28-Jun-15 09:50:08

Our dd was in a cot in our room until we moved house when she was 9 months old. Her sleep patterns did not change when she moved to her own room.

mrschatty Sun 28-Jun-15 09:51:59

Babies should ideally be in with you until 6-12m at least. It allows them to feel secure when they can smell mum and this regulates breathing reducing risks.
Jimmy great tip re daytime naps ill use that one

Rose138 Sun 28-Jun-15 09:55:39

Thank you all so much! So reassuring. I was so concerned that I was doing the wrong thing. The daytime naps is an excellent idea!

My sister moved my nephew in to his own room at 2 months! I just think that's so young and he doesn't sleep well even to this day-he's 2 now. I know each to their own though.
Thank you all again for your really helpful and quick replies.x

RoganJosh Sun 28-Jun-15 09:59:12

SIDS guidelines say to keep them with you till at least six months, so you definitely haven't done anything wrong. It's personal preference from now on I would say.

Rose138 Sun 28-Jun-15 19:18:44

Thank you RoganJosh! Xx

Eminado Sun 28-Jun-15 19:22:05

We moved dd at 7 months ish and were the last in out nct group! I am a big softie and cried the first night blush but she actually slept much better. My husband had an awful hacking cough and with hindsight i think he was disturbing her!

HeadDreamer Sun 28-Jun-15 19:28:00

DD2 is still in our room at 9mo. We don't have another bedroom she can move into. Waiting till we move into a bigger house atm. (Fingers crossed it will be very very soon). If I move her to DD1 room, I'm afraid she will wake DD1 up. I would rather it be just me!

I am sure this is very common with a second child. I would imagine you don't dare to make the move if they are going to share until they sleep pretty much through the night.

So no need to feel bad about it.

daisydalrymple Sun 28-Jun-15 19:48:38

Ds2 is 8 months and still in with us, (taking over our bed) both ds1 and dd were in with us till 12 months or so and am vaguely planning on doing the same this time . (To the point where 12 months or later feels so much more normal to me I assumed that was the recommended age smile ).

fruitpastille Sun 28-Jun-15 20:38:34

16 months and counting! Our room is on a different floor so that's part of it. Mainly laziness is the reason. She sleeps through 12 hours no problem but can stir if she can't find the dummy - I can sort it without going downstairs. Also in the morning I can just hoike her out of her cot while I am still half asleep. She sleeps fine whether we are in the room or not so I don't think moving her will be an issue.

lexyloub Sun 28-Jun-15 22:10:16

Have you tried putting him in his own room & encountered problems or have you just been to scared to try so far?
How about you both move into the other room to start off with if you have the room? Put the cot and maybe an air bed or mattress on the floor whilst he gets used to being in a different room and wean yourself gradually away into your own room.

PisforPeter Sun 28-Jun-15 22:10:49

Dad was in our room till 14m. She has always been a great sleeper & we attribute it to the fact she felt safe & secure in our room for that first year. Don't worry about NCT comments, there sheets seem to be a race to be the first to the next 'stage', just enjoy your baby & do what suits your little family X

PisforPeter Sun 28-Jun-15 22:11:56

DD was in our room...
There always seems to be a race to the next stage.....
Silly phone!

CakeRattleandRoll Mon 29-Jun-15 07:56:20

DS is still in our room and he is nearly 3!! He is very small though, so still in his cot. He is an excellent sleeper. DD (5 months) also in our room in bassinet, so it is pretty cosy! DH escapes to the spare room if he wants to be sure of a good night's sleep. What can I say, it works for us. Although DS will have to move into his own room when DD outgrows the bassinet.

DeeWe Mon 29-Jun-15 10:14:53

Ds was in our room until about 18 months when we moved house. Thing was he could climb out of any cot (out of travel cot at 7 months wearing sleeping bag). If he was in our room he'd climb out and straight into our bed and sleep again giving me minimal disturbance. If in his own room he tried to find me, which involved waking up the entire house usually.
He had a mattress on the floor in our room which he slept most of the time, but if he woke he'd climb in with us. Mattress was good for two reasons. Firstly no danger of falling and secondly it went very easily under our bed when we had viewing for the sale of our house!

When we moved into our new house he started napping in his bed in his own room, and then after a few weeks took to sleeping there at night too. Yes he still sometimes came through to our room. Sometimes I went through to his room if he woke.

He slept as well as dd2 who moved into her own room at 6 months.

NinjaLeprechaun Mon 29-Jun-15 11:57:09

My daughter was in our room until she was five, because we didn't have another bedroom to put her in until then. It had no impact on her sleeping habits.

MrEmerald Mon 29-Jun-15 12:00:20

Dd is 5 and still in our room most nights grin

Rose138 Mon 29-Jun-15 20:00:04

Thank you all! I'm feeling much more confident now that if anything he will be more secure rather than my previous worry of it being bad for him.

He sleeps through the night so no harm to us either!

Again, thank you all.x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now