Dummy pros and cons

(6 Posts)
Sycamore76 Thu 25-Jun-15 20:46:19

My nearby 15 week old has started taking a dummy . I offered her one as she was sucking on her thumb and fingers and anything she could find ! My ds didn't take to a dummy so I have no experience of weaning off . At the moment I just give it to her before a nap and to help with bedtime . Is this ok ? When should they stop having one . Would appreciate any help with pros and cons . Thanks

lazyfrog Thu 25-Jun-15 21:11:05

I don't think you can really plan it out as each child is different. I feared the dummy removal but our little boy ditched it himself after a few.months. Just lost interest and got more accurate with his hands when he occasionally wanted them!

Sycamore76 Thu 25-Jun-15 21:26:08

Thanks lazy frog

nbee84 Thu 25-Jun-15 21:36:12

Much easier to get rid of a dummy than thumbs or fingers. You don't see many 5 or 6 year olds with dummies but lots that age still suck thumbs. Also more hygienic as you can't stop them putting fingers and thumbs in their mouth after they've been playing in the mud/petting animals etc.

Try to use the dummy just for falling asleep. Remove it once they have done and keep your fingers crossed for self settling through the night otherwise you will find yourself in and out locating lost dummies that they can't find!

Sycamore76 Thu 25-Jun-15 21:52:01

Thanks nbee84. Very helpful . I will see if it's dropped out shortly wink

LindsayS79 Thu 25-Jun-15 22:15:36

The dummy saved my sanity! At 2 she still uses it but I have always limited it purely for sleeping. I used to go up and gently remove it 5 mins after she fell asleep to avoid her getting used to it all night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now