2 yo high pitched screeching

(5 Posts)
Hezaire Thu 25-Jun-15 15:44:12

Anyone got strategies to deal with this? It's hurting my ears. "No" ends up with him laughing hmm

ppeatfruit Thu 25-Jun-15 16:33:11

Pay attention to him, play with him, make his toys talk say something like 'Oh my goodness poor little teddy 's ears will hurt if you go on sc reaming like that".

You pay attention when he's NOT screaming, so read a book with him and talk quietly to him. When he gets hungry feed him, sometimes it's low blood sugar or thirst that makes them cross. When he screams (and it is a phase it will pass) try to ignore it.

There's a good book to help called 'How to talk so Children will Listen and Listen so Children will talk".

Take him out to the park or whatever a LOT.

Newtobecomingamum Thu 25-Jun-15 16:34:05

Hi,

I know it's difficult but you need to ignore the behaviour and try and distract toddler with something else. Every time you react to the screaming/screeching they are getting attention.

With distraction I used the following:

If outside - make a massive deal out if hearing an airplane and get them to look to the sky to find one and then it into a game

If at home - I pretended there was a noise in another room and really over the top would say what's thT noise quick quick lets go and find out and turn it into a game.

The lasted a few weeks with my son and ended. It's just a phase.

ppeatfruit Thu 25-Jun-15 16:35:13

Oh and pick your battles! grin No one likes to be told 'NO' all the time, think about why you're saying it , there are other ways.

Hezaire Thu 25-Jun-15 18:12:39

Thanks everyone. Some really good tips there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now