Head slapping when frustrated!

(3 Posts)
A1Mum Sun 07-Jun-15 11:16:08

My DP said he caught our 8y Son slapping his head quite hard when he was told he could not watch TV. This happened yesterday and to be honest I'm quite shocked. This is the first time either of us has witnessed this behaviour.

We separated this year and everything went very smoothly with access every day so the routine is still the same. I don't know how to deal with this to bring about the best outcome. All other areas seem fine with no problems; outwardly happy, plays a lot, enthusiastic, kind, loving, thriving well at school and gets lots of me time. DP told him not to do this and he said he wouldn't again. I said maybe it would have been good to ask him why he was doing it, so he could get feedback from him in his own words to better understand his frustration. I was thinking of asking him later in a relaxed way being careful of my tone of voice and then ask him how he could better handle in in future and see what he suggests.

Can anyone who knows about behaviour advise me how we should handle this?

Yeasayer Tue 09-Jun-15 15:42:41

I don't have any personal experience I'm afraid but I have just found this (sorry for the crap link). I've only skim-read it but if you read down to the 10th post it suggests that head hitting in older children could be a sign of emotional confusion. Perhaps this may be linked to your recent separation?

www.scienceforums.net/topic/19235-children-hitting-themselves/

Yeasayer Tue 09-Jun-15 15:47:33

FTR I am in no way suggesting your child is emotionally disturbed (I've just read the rest of it). Apologies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now