Should my boy watch/read about Pinocchio

(5 Posts)
Fiona2011231 Tue 02-Sep-14 11:13:58

As you know, Pinocchio, the fictional character, is known for having a short nose that becomes longer when he is under stress, especially while lying.

This aspect of lying makes me wonder if my 5-year-old boy should watch a performance or read this book.

He is a rather challenging child, to say the least. Is it likely that he will learn how to lie after knowing this Pinocchio character?

Thank you

cungryhatterpillar Tue 02-Sep-14 11:16:57

Learning to tell lies is a normal part of child development. In neurotypical children, the skill tends to be picked up at around the age of three. If your ds hasn't yet got this at age 5, it may be worth asking your GP for advice.

Maryz Tue 02-Sep-14 11:18:11

I wouldn't worry too much about the lying.

Now, if he grows a donkey tail or his legs turn into wood, then I'd encourage him to read something more pleasant; Rumplestiltskin has a good moral message I think.

SoonToBeSix Tue 02-Sep-14 11:25:25

Are you joking op?

SixImpossible Tue 02-Sep-14 11:41:22

Why do you find your ds challenging? Have you considered that perhaps he is challenging because you are excessively controlling?

It took me three dc before I realised that I was micro-managing too much. Interestingly, the more I relax (yes, it's difficult) and give them the chance to have some control over their choices, the less challenging they are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now