What could be the reason for constant, apparently accidental tongue biting?

(11 Posts)
meglet Mon 01-Sep-14 22:27:14

5yo DD has been accidentally biting her tongue for as long as I can remember, certainly over the last year. It's not every meal, or every week (although I'd miss anything that happened at nursery / school) but her big brother never does it, whereas she will often start to wail and show me her bleeding tongue.

Her speech is fine, she's bright and as far as I can see her teeth, jaw and tongue all seem ok confused. Can there be a muscle weakness in tongues that mean they don't keep out the way when someone is eating?

The poor little soul looks so sad when she does it sad. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether she is trying to talk, eating nicely at the table or even in the car (as she was today). Something in her mouth doesn't seem to be aligned properly confused.

Woodenheart Mon 01-Sep-14 22:29:38

Tongue thrust? Does her mouth stay open slightly all the time, I remember reading about it when I was researching my DD's Lip Tie.

meglet Mon 01-Sep-14 22:30:39

if anyone answers and I appear to vanish, it's because I can't MN from my phone since they buggered it up improved it. So I can only MN from the laptop in the evening.

Woodenheart Mon 01-Sep-14 22:31:38
meglet Tue 02-Sep-14 19:48:10

ah, thank you, I'll have a read. That sounds like a good starting point.

I don't think her mouth stays open slightly all the time though, I'll watch her like a hawk for a bit.

Woodenheart Tue 02-Sep-14 20:43:08

Maybe ask the dentist to check her 'bite' They will know if her jaw is misaligned or something!

And perhaps it will improve as she gets older.

Justgotosleepnow Tue 02-Sep-14 20:47:05

Tongue tie? It can make the tongue difficult to control in the mouth

meglet Tue 02-Sep-14 21:11:38

just I did wonder if she had tongue tie as a baby, I had to help her with bf because she couldn't get a big enough 'gulp' all by herself. I did speak to someone at the time (HV?) but was poo-poo'd hmm.

Justgotosleepnow Tue 02-Sep-14 21:50:49

Ah HV those well known bf experts. Ahem. Sadly the story of many mothers.

Look in her mouth, can she touch the tip of her nose with her tongue? If it's no where near, and there's a big fleshy bit attaching her tongue to her mouth, the it's the likely cause.

(I'm not medical, just learnt a bit about tt)

meglet Tue 02-Sep-14 22:51:26

I should have known better than to listen to them shouldn't I.

The lady who pierced my tongue years ago said it was attached higher up than most. It's always niggled me and made me wonder whether these things are hereditary.

Justgotosleepnow Wed 03-Sep-14 07:31:42

I should think it is hereditary.
My mil stopped bf really early due to a lot of damage & no support. I reckon DH has tt.
I bite my tongue a lot and I was really light as a little baby til moved to formula so I prob am too.
Not a huge surprise that our dd has tt.
(Worrying about her eyes & wonky teeth that we both have wink)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now