18wk old rolling onto tummy in cot

(6 Posts)
mollypollly Mon 01-Sep-14 20:33:13

Hi everyone,

Please could I ask for a bit of advice about my 18 week old DD... She started to roll both from front to back and from back to front a couple of weeks ago. She rolled from front to back first, but now is much stronger at rolling back to front.

The last few days, she has started to roll onto her tummy in her cot (during naps and at night), with her face squashed into the mattress and seems unable to roll herself back (she usually cries/whimpers after a minute or two). But every time I put her back on her back, she does it again!

I'm really worried that she won't be able to breathe properly...has anyone else experienced this with their DC? Any advice would be gratefully received!!

x

NickyEds Mon 01-Sep-14 21:33:02

My DS, now 8 months has slept on his tummy since he could roll over. At first I would try in vain to roll him back but that's obviously how he's comfy. I brought it up with the GP(we were there about something else I promise!) at the time and was told not to worry about it. I had the distinct feeling that the doctor had a bit of a giggle about it after I left!!

GiveMeVegemite Mon 01-Sep-14 22:08:41

My DS did this and could not roll back til he was over a year old! It frustrated him at first, but then ge got used to it. He ended up sleeping on his tummy all night and now only sleeps on his tummy, even though he can roll around fine now!

mollypollly Mon 01-Sep-14 22:20:02

Thanks so much for the reassurance Nicky and Vegemite-she has been doing it all evening and does seem to be breathing ok so will try to stop panicking! x

Lovelydiscusfish Mon 01-Sep-14 22:37:40

My dd rolled onto her front to sleep v early - advice seemed to be that once they can roll, you have to accept that they will sleep in any position they want. I remember worrying about it too - but I guess, if they can roll both ways, that is a positive in terms of moving out of unsafe positions, sleep-wise. Try not to worry!

NickyEds Tue 02-Sep-14 10:07:27

There's really nothing you can do about it except for going to them and rolling them back every 30 minutes. Like I did one nightblush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now