Baby walker

(13 Posts)
FuzzyBunny55 Mon 01-Sep-14 08:52:13

Hi All,

What is the appropriate age to stop using a sit in baby walker?

LIZS Mon 01-Sep-14 08:55:15

When they can walk and cruise on furniture. tbh they have such a short life span that I've always felt a waste, safety aside.

FuzzyBunny55 Mon 01-Sep-14 08:59:51

I'm asking for a friend really. Her DD has just turned one. She doesn't crawl, stand or cruise and is still using baby walker? Her DD also couldn't sit unaided until 9 months. Could it be effecting development?

Kelly1814 Mon 01-Sep-14 09:01:28

we are one in two weeks and we love ours! DD beetles around the house in it at top speed. if anything it's helpng her development, she has only really started crusing from being in it, ithink it taught her what her feet and toes are for!

LIZS Mon 01-Sep-14 09:02:39

what does hv say ? Could there be development issues, even without walker ? Does she roll etc?

FuzzyBunny55 Mon 01-Sep-14 09:09:28

My friend seems in denial about it and doesn't think there's an issue. Hoc said nothing at 12 month review. Her DD can only roll on to tummy but then gets stuck.

I was going to try and talk to her about it nice way. I don't mean to be interfering but thought it might be worth giving up the walker for a little while to see if it helps.

My friend has no issue with her DD not walking as everyone tells her "some babies don't crawl" "my baby didn't walk until.. Etc"

I think she spends most of the time in the walker?

murphy36 Mon 01-Sep-14 17:48:54

Those sit in walkers can delay walking development

http://www.babycenter.com/404_will-baby-walkers-and-jumpers-help-my-baby-learn-to-walk_6878.bc

No idea how you carefully raise it with your friend

Kelly1814 Mon 01-Sep-14 20:10:22

Why are you so very interested In your friends child? Why not get on with your own life and leave her to it?

hilbobaggins Mon 01-Sep-14 20:18:39

I think it's fair enough to attempt a gentle intervention if you suspect a child's healthy development may be at stake. There's overwhelming evidence that those walkers can delay development at best and be pretty dangerous at worst. It's worth a tactful try, OP.

Borttagen Mon 01-Sep-14 20:33:57

Hi, my DS is nearly 15 months. He can roll onto his front, not reliably sit unaided, doesn't crawl or walk or anything but has great fine motor skills and chats and seems ahead of his peers intellectually. We bought him a walker at 11 months so he could move but I was unsure if it would help or hinder. He loves it and flies about the place in it.
But - it transpired that he has cerebral palsy affecting his legs, which is why his gross motor skills are delayed. We have been given a walker for him by the hospital as he outgrew the other one (too tall for it).
So it might not be the walker there could be an underlying issue and your friend should get her DC checked out - by a doctor. We have seen paediatricians and neurologists.
In my son's case the physios all recommend the walker as it allows him to develop more as he can move, access more things and just explore.
I really doubt the issue here is the walker - I know people thought my sons delays were down to me not putting him on the floor enough or other things.

Kelly1814 Tue 02-Sep-14 06:51:27

lord, it's hardly like she's feeding the baby 20 marlboro lights for breakfast! if she's a friend mention in passing, then move on.

it's precisely this sort of nosiness and interfering that has driven me mad since having a baby!

MiaowTheCat Tue 02-Sep-14 08:05:39

Sounds exactly like my DD1 in terms of when milestones were hit. Never used a walker or jumperoo or anything similar with her - she just did physical stuff a bit later than a lot of kids. Are you seriously going to start making your friend worried (and she will be - however much she smiles and pretends not to be) because a just turned 1 year old isn't walking?! Seriously?! Anything before 18 months and HVs aren't going to be at all concerned about walking at all. Even at the 18 month mark they're not much concerned as long as there's cruising and evidence it's on its way.

Incidentally DD1 finally walked at the 18 month mark - and I had bloody broken my heart and hidden in the car sobbing for months because of people giving me shit about her being a late walker, ended up avoiding baby groups and the like because I simply couldn't take it - which did a nice job for my mental health really. Oh and then yesterday DD1 happily scootered past one of those mums in the park - who was still pushing her "oh so advanced... why isn't your child walking yet" kid in the pushchair.

DD2 used a jumperoo - because she was so damned frustrated with the world and not being able to be on the same level as it all that it was either that or her scream her objection to life as her physical skills caught up with her aspirations. Much earlier walker - but that was just her bloody stubborn and unstoppable personality.

Leave the poor woman alone - the walker will get outgrown height or baby tolerance wise bloody soon enough anyway... there's a reason they're always for sale second hand at a really low price - because kids get too tall for them really really fast.

ColdTeaAgain Tue 02-Sep-14 08:40:29

I don't think walkers used a lot are likely cause any major long term problems (although was advised against using them for prolonged periods by paediatrician for hip development), but I do wonder if when babies are in them for too much of the time (plus door bouncers, jumperoos etc) then they are not getting enough opportunity to experiment with their own natural movement and could put them behind slightly.

You could try asking if she has ever tried going a day without the walker to see how her DD gets on? you would have to tread v carefully though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now