My child won't stand at 10 months.

(21 Posts)
NFreeman1987 Sun 31-Aug-14 16:22:11

I need advice my little girl is ten months old and physically very lazy. Intellectually she's surpassing the developmental guidelines but is really struggling with meeting her physical milestones. She started sitting up unaided at 8 months but doesn't crawl or stand up. She hates tummy time and can hold herself up on her arms but becomes quickly distressed and gives up. We've tried getting her to stand which is also fruitless, she can do it if I hold onto her legs to keep them on the ground but has no desire to do it unaided or whilst holding onto something. Is this normal? Is she just lazy? Please help.

MollyBdenum Sun 31-Aug-14 16:32:49

DD couldn't stand (even holding on to something) until she was 14 months old. At 15 months she was walking. By 16 months she had caught with other children her age. She is now one of the best in her year at sport.

NovemberAli Sun 31-Aug-14 18:30:53

DD refused bear weight on her legs until over a year old and didn't crawl till 12 months but at 4 years old now there's no stopping her!

I'm sure your DD will get there in her own time, the developmental guidelines are only very rough timelines and babies all develop at different rates. Mention any concerns to your HV at her 1 year check but she sounds well within typical ranges to me. smile

gamerchick Sun 31-Aug-14 18:34:12

She's 10 months leave her alone. She'll do it in her own time. Mention it as has been said to your hv when she's one if you're still worried but I doubt you have anything to worry about.

capecath Sun 31-Aug-14 20:21:36

Still early days... I was apparently called the "fork lift" because when picked up I'd just keep my legs straight out in front of me! I walked at 18 months. But I am actually a very active and sporty individual! So doesn't really mean a whole lot at this early stage.

puntasticusername Sun 31-Aug-14 20:49:35

She's very young - from what you've said, I can't see any immediate need to worry. She will very likely get there in her own time.

Btw "lazy" can be seen as something of a prejudicial word - it kind of implies that she could do it if she wanted, she just can't be bothered - so maybe consider using other words? It's just that when she gets to an age where she understands what "lazy" means and she hears you calling her lazy...well, you know...

Pinksuitcase Sun 31-Aug-14 20:53:40

My DD couldnt crawl at her 10-12 mnth review. Now 6 weeks later crawling all over the place! Dont worry.

rallytog1 Sun 31-Aug-14 20:54:55

She's far too young for you to be worrying about this. My dd didn't crawl until she was nearly 1yo bit she went on to stand and walk very quickly after that. Calling her lazy makes me very sad - she's probably just focusing her efforts on learning something else at the moment!

Hatetidyingthehouse Sun 31-Aug-14 20:57:16

I knew a 14 month old that didn't stand. All fine now walking etc when I saw her at 18 mo

SpanielFace Sun 31-Aug-14 21:02:33

My DS was exactly the same. Didn't bear weight on his legs, I used to call him The Incredible Collapsing Baby. I was a bit worried especially as he was breech, I was concerned that they'd missed something on his hip
scans, but HV told me not to worry. He also hated tummy time, just screamed, and only rolled over maybe 5 times before he started crawling, usually by accident! He finally crawled at 12 months, and was walking by 16 months. He's now just turned 2, and is physically pretty much average for his age. I would speak to your HV if you're concerned, but I don't think it's anything to worry about at 10 months.

JackShit Sun 31-Aug-14 21:03:24

Try not to worry. DD didn't weight bear until she was a year old and walked at 16 months. Nothing wrong with her at all.

SpanielFace Sun 31-Aug-14 21:03:57

He was also a big chubby baby, I'm not sure if that makes a difference? (He's not now - all the weight fell off him when he started walking!)

TeWiSavesTheDay Sun 31-Aug-14 21:11:33

Don't worry about it, she might just be at the later end of average development gross motor skills (some children have to be!) in fact DD2 is the same, just started to stand for a second or two with support at 11mths. Dd1 was similar and didn't walk until 18mths.

The important things to check are hips, but the fact that she can sit up unaided is actually a good sign if you are concerned about any potential problems.

Your HV might be a good person to speak to if you have worries.

NFreeman1987 Sun 31-Aug-14 21:50:11

Thank you for your advice this has put my mind at ease. I don't have many friends who have had children to ask advice, my friend has a child of a similar age who seems to be more physically advanced than my LO and although I know every child is different you can not help being concerned. I'd also like to say I was using the term lazy loosely and never call my child lazy as I understand the implications of this.

Bunbaker Sun 31-Aug-14 21:56:15

Please, please stop worrying. No babies in my family have walked before 14 months. It seems like everyone you know is doing this "competitive parenting" lark. DD didn't start pulling herself up until 12 months.

Ten months is extremely early to be walking.

puntasticusername Sun 31-Aug-14 21:58:34

OP I thought that, hence why I said it gently smile excellent, I'm sure you'll all be fine!

Fixitagaintomorrow Sun 31-Aug-14 22:00:33

I wouldn't worry. I've known 2 babies who were like that. They didn't actually crawl at all, they just got up and walked one day around 15-16 months. Not all babies crawl so I'd give it a good few months yet before you start getting worried.

BentleyBelly Fri 05-Sep-14 09:18:25

I'm finding this post quite reassuring. My dd is 12 mo, isn't crawling and only just weight bearing with lots of support. She is very content to sit and play and if she can't reach something she gives up very easily. The gap between her and her peers is widening, all of her baby friends of the same age are much more advanced physically. It is very hard not to worry and compare but I know she is fine and will get there in her own time.

SquidgyMummy Fri 05-Sep-14 09:25:54

DS was cruising at 10 months, but didn't speak till he was almost 3. I was told that they tend to concentrate one thing at a time.
It all evens out in the end.

(Also agree with poster up thread, please don't use the word lazy about your daughter, little ones understand much more than you think...)

MultipleMama Fri 05-Sep-14 17:07:48

I have 11mo twins. One is walking and exploring cupboards, the other cannot sit unaided yet. He'll catch up in his own time.

She's not even a year old, she's fine smile

murphy36 Fri 05-Sep-14 18:10:32

My boomerang won't come back...

I'm sure yours will walk at some point, it's very rare they don't and 10m would be early.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now