Struggling to control toddler...

(8 Posts)
MegMogandOwlToo Sat 30-Aug-14 21:43:56

Ok so control isn't the right word, but DS (2.4) is very stubborn and lively.

I'm not sure how much is normal toddler behaviour, but he won't hold my hand, he won't walk "nicely" and just wants to run off. He just will not listen when I ask him to hold my hand or stay by my side. I had to leave my shopping yesterday because he was running around the shop, touching everything, climbing on stuff etc.

He's too big for the pushchair really, although will happily sit in it for a while if we're out shopping. Once he's decided he has l had enough though, he can undo the straps and just climb out, so then I have a pushchair and toddler to try and manoeuvre.

He's also too big for a highchair, but too small to sit at the dining table unless he kneels, so he either does that or sits at his own table and chair, but he won't sit for more than a few mins and then he's off, running around the kitchen, grabbing fruit from the bowl, trying to get in the fridge etc.

It's exhausting! I don't know where I've gone wrong, I feel as though he is just out of control and I don't know how to sort this.

Other than that, he's wonderful. He will sit and play, sleeps and naps well, eats well when he does sit down. He is developmentally quite advanced, hit all the milestones early and was assessed at nursery as having a speech level of 4-5 years when he turned 2, so I am wondering if maybe I treat him as being older than he is, because he can speak and hold conversations so well!

Jakeyblueblue Sat 30-Aug-14 23:25:57

Sounds like my ds at that age, he's now 3.2 and we can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Have just come back after a weeks holiday and he's been a joy to take out and about. No running off or messing around and have even been able to take him for a bite to eat etc.
I've spent the last year thinking there was something wrong with him or I'd done something wrong, as everyone else's kids didn't seem to behave in the same way, but my mum has said all along it was just a normal phase of toddlerhood and it would pass. She was right.
If I had any advice, I'd take the buggy. He started to improve once he realised if he ran off, he'd go straight in the buggy or failing that, straight home.
Hang in there, it will pass.

MissOtisRegretsMadam Sat 30-Aug-14 23:38:50

I'm in the same situation with slightly older ds he is 2.9. He gets up and down from table every meal time, he is getting better out and about though and I often use one of those backpack reigns purely for safety.
The threat of going back in the pram mostly works. Shopping is tricky so I try go if I can straight after breakfast and take lots of snacks to distract with. If we go out late afternoon he is much worse due to being tired.
I have given up trying to go to cafés or restaurants unless I go to very child friendly places as I feel it's a waste of money as he doesn't eat much and neither do I!

I'm hoping he will gradually improve with age.

Fairylea Sat 30-Aug-14 23:41:54

Sounds just like my ds who is the same age and also my dd who is now 11.

I just got a bigger pushchair (!) And reins for walking. And cbeebies for when I am absolutely desperate!

It's hard work. Non stop hard work. But it does pass eventually.

Fairylea Sat 30-Aug-14 23:42:46

(I mean dd at that age...Thankfully she's grown out of that stage at 11 now! ! )..

Coffeemonster1 Sun 31-Aug-14 21:20:15

Mamas and papas do a baby bud high chair which is a seat that straps to the big dining table chairs and the insert can be taken out as they grow until they are big enough to sit nicely at the table. It has a three point harness but as you can tuck the chair under so they are sitting directly at the table like every one else, they can't get the buckle to undo the straps smile might be an idea until your lo is of an age to sit still until everyone is finished. We use one for our lg now and she has learned that she sits there until she has finished or we as a family have finished... Didn't take long for her to realise.

claireoliver50 Tue 02-Sep-14 20:45:33

We use a booster seat for dining table it has straps but stops them getting up and down so easily, this was the only thing that stopped mydd now 4 she is still fidgety and highly strung but getting better although she has reverted while on holiday from school glad they're back next week. I agree reins for walking and I shopped first thing when theyre less cranky.

This sounds like my dd shes 3 and a half and has just took to running off especially when im paying at the till or sitting eating in public. Reins is the only way or a wrist strap it is so frustrating. I have had to put her in her pushchair and attach her reins to the pushchair so she cant get free. If you can I would get shopping etc when shes at nursery. I try to to keep visits anywhere short. I hope they grow out of it. Its a bloody pain. The eating thing I dunno what to say mine never sits long enough to eat she just grazes throughout the day or I get her to help me with the cooking chopping etc and keep her in the kitchen then shes more likely to sit and eat for a little bit at the table.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now