7.5 year old starting to stammer

(5 Posts)
Biscuitsneeded Wed 27-Aug-14 22:57:52

Ds 2 has recently started stammering. It's only at the start of sentences, and once he gets going it all comes out fine. It's not individual sounds, but just the first word. So it's not " I b-b-b-b-b-brought my bag" but we do get " But but but but but I did tell you"

Is this an actual stammer or is he just stalling in order to think what he wants to say? Is it normal to suddenly start doing this with no previous history?

MrsWinnibago Thu 28-Aug-14 00:53:14

My DD is 6 and did this for a while. I didn't react...it's gone now. She seemed to be over keen to speak....she goes at a hundred miles an hour in everything...VERY lively...no speech issues at all as a baby or toddler.

Is your Son very energetic?

Biscuitsneeded Thu 28-Aug-14 08:26:04

He is pretty lively, yes, and also doesn't ever look where he's going, crashes about, somewhat distractable etc. We call him Captain Chaos! So it may just be his personality manifested in speech - he gets so excited he temporarily forgets what he was going to say. I think you're right not to draw attention to it.

shushpenfold Thu 28-Aug-14 08:29:57

Make sure that you listen to him as he speaks, don't interrupt and let him finish his sentence.....you have all the time in the world for him. We were also advised to try and have an organised routine so that we didn't have to rush too quickly without notice from place to place. I had 3 under 5 at this point so my face was a picture when they said this. My DS still stammers a little, more so at times of stress and he's just turned 14. I did the same though, as did my sister and we grew out of it.

MrsWinnibago Thu 28-Aug-14 08:55:17

Biscuits that sounds exactly like my DD! She actually needed glasses but she's still a little bomb going off...always bruising herself with rushing, jumping and dashing.

DD also gets excited and takes a while to get all the thoughts out when something matters to her. She's much better now....I'd wait it out and as shush says, make sure you listen to him.x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now