Car sick 12mo - tips please!

(8 Posts)
flopsybunny45 Tue 26-Aug-14 23:31:01

My dc turns 1 this month. We have recently moved her into her big car seat and she has suffered bad car sickness on the two most recent journeys. The pharmacy doesn't stock preventative medicine for under 5s and has advised giving dc flat coke! Any other suggestions would be most welcome... Thanks!

milkjetmum Tue 26-Aug-14 23:36:44

What does she normally do on a journey? Play with toys? Can she see out window? I think motion sickness is when you feel different movements than your body expects based on what you can see. So blocking/unblocking windows might help. Avoid activities where she has to look at something for a long time (dvds or books as she gets older) maybe music rather than toys etc.

hollie84 Tue 26-Aug-14 23:38:51

Is she forward facing now? DS was less sick rear facing.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 26-Aug-14 23:40:51

If youve switched her to forward facing, could you maybe look into getting a rearward facing seat?

Shosha1 Wed 27-Aug-14 00:19:07

Put the car seat in the middle if the back seat so that she looks out the front window rather than the side windows.

flopsybunny45 Wed 27-Aug-14 08:52:40

Thanks for all these suggestions - will try putting seat into middle. Think we may have to go back to rear facing as never experienced it with that x

hollie84 Wed 27-Aug-14 09:16:02

Rear facing is safer for a baby anyway smile

WeGotThere Wed 27-Aug-14 10:00:54

My sympathies floppy- our daughter is exactly the same, sick in cars, aeroplanes, boats etc... So, given my parents live in Ireland and we live in England, we were desperate to find a solution. As you have found there are no quick solutions for 1yr olds. We just tried to time our journeys with sleeping times, made sure she ate something simple about an hour before driving, lots of stops, cool clothing, windows open a bit if possible and a bag with change of clothes, wipes, towels etc... just in case.
When she turned 2 we tried the travel sickness armbands from Boots and she has never been sick wearing them! Didn't think they'd work and worried she'd never keep them on but proved wrong on both. She loves her 'special bands' and so far they're working well, even with long driving and ferry journeys.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now