Fingers down throat and choking on food.

(9 Posts)
SureFootedWhispher Tue 26-Aug-14 18:53:57

DD 2.8 put her fingers down her throat during a tantrum and makes herself gag and go bright red.

When eating and is feeling tantrumy she starts taking the food to the back of her throat then chokes it back up. I'm scared she wont be able too.

We try to ignore but it's hard when she goes bright red.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 26-Aug-14 19:16:14

Ignoring sounds like exactly the right way to deal with it. If you are worried could you go on a Paed first aid course?

jaybirdsinginginthedeadofnight Tue 26-Aug-14 21:31:16

My DD did the fingers down the throat thing at around 20months, one time she did it after her dinner and vomited the lot up again! The best tactic was calmly saying don't do that DD and removing her fingers from her mouth, ignoring and moving on to something else. I guess it's more difficult when she's doing it mid tantrum confused. I second the suggestion to read up on first aid (just incase) St. John's ambulance do a great app for smart phones. DD eventually stopped, it was a phase like holding water in her mouth then spitting it down herself smile This to shall pass. DS 11months has just started sticking his fingers down his throat too - the joys!

bohoec Tue 26-Aug-14 21:38:31

My 20 month DD does this at the moment too. I'm just ignoring and moving on. She doesn't do it mid tantrum though, that's a bit more tricky! But definitely try to ignore it so it doesn't become a bait for attention. Agree with the first aid course advice.

SureFootedWhispher Tue 26-Aug-14 22:12:05

I did do a first aid course following the death of a toddler from choking who attended a group. I need a refreser though and will look at the app. It does scare me when she purposely takes the food back but I think she knows this.

I don't know whether to remove her from the table (and food) and ignore or just ignore.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 27-Aug-14 11:37:33

I'd just completely ignore.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 27-Aug-14 11:38:24

Posted too soon, and heap praise on her when she is sitting at the table and eating nicely smile

jaybirdsinginginthedeadofnight Wed 27-Aug-14 18:31:45

Look at British Red Cross app too the do one specifically for babies and children.

jaybirdsinginginthedeadofnight Wed 27-Aug-14 18:32:50

*they

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now