3yo doesn't have an imaginary friend, she has an imaginary LIFE.

(17 Posts)
WD41 Tue 26-Aug-14 15:59:15

Is this normal?

DD is 3.5 and she talks incessantly and in great detail about her "real" life. For example she lives in a different house with Minne Mouse (which is real whereas the house we actually live in is apparently pretend), drives a black Volvo, has a job (doctor at the local hospital), she goes on holidays, eats out in restaurants, goes to supermarkets etc etc. It really is constant.

It is cute (albeit tiring to listen to all the time) but I'm also a bit worried that perhaps she is unhappy in some way, to have created this whole life where she lives as an independent adult. Do other people's children do this?

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 26-Aug-14 19:18:07

No idea but am interested. Hopefully someone will come along soon smile

dancestomyowntune Tue 26-Aug-14 19:20:22

Yes, Dd1 did this a lot. She's 11 now and barely remembers any of it!

HotPinkWeaselWearingLederhosen Tue 26-Aug-14 19:25:19

Dd still does at 4 she has another Mummy and Daddy and a baby sister and a dog called BobBon.

She often tells me about "at BonBons house....."

Her other Mummy is a doctor

Her other Daddy gets lots of tummy aches.

I quite enjoy it smile

Panicmode1 Tue 26-Aug-14 19:28:04

My (now) 4 year old spent most his year of being 3 as a farmer - he described in great detail which fields his animals and crops would be in, how many cows, sheep, horses etc he would have, what crops he would grow, how he'd get the milk to market, what his farmhouse was like etc. he got quite obsessive about it all.

We live in a town, but then went to a big agricultural show where alongside the tractors/cows/sheep etc, he saw stunt motorcycles in the main ring, and he totally forgot about the farm (after obsessing about it for months!) and decided that's what he wants to do......! I'm sure it's a phase which will pass. My DS does have a very vivid imagination which has caused problems with nightmares, but I love how inventive he is.

insancerre Tue 26-Aug-14 19:35:09

Haha
Ds who is now 25 had a job at 5. He played football for Sunderland at the weekend but hence as a car mechanic during the week.
He was married to one of his class mates - Zoe pepper she was called
They lived in my house apparently and she wore my clothes
He had a different name too - he was called Gary grin

Catnuzzle Tue 26-Aug-14 19:36:08

I describe DD1(6) as overseeing her play world whereas DD2 (3) lives in her play world. They both have brilliant imaginations but put them to use in very different ways. DD22 can often insist the whole family stays in their given role all day. grin

frankiebuns Thu 28-Aug-14 14:47:53

My son is 3.5 and is very much like this his name is lenny in his world plays a guitar and used to bed a builder before making it big!

Ferguson Thu 28-Aug-14 19:29:09

I don't know how common it is, but there is a 'condition' (for which there are web sites, but some a bit freaky) called "Maladaptive Daydreaming". I think it has only been recognised for ten years or so, and when I last checked, isn't recognised by the NHS.

I think it is only people comparing their experiences via Internet that has revealed it's prevalence.

WD41 Fri 29-Aug-14 15:06:47

Thanks all, glad to hear it's normal!

WomanScorned Sat 30-Aug-14 11:41:42

This just reminded me that I haven't heard DS mention his 'rainbow house' and his pet dog, cat, rabbit and the pictures on the walls etc, for a while. So, I just asked him and, apparently, he can't go there any more as he had 'bad next doors' who knocked his bricks down with a hammer! I guess that means he grew out of it smile

MishMooshAndMogwai Sat 30-Aug-14 11:44:36

I could've written this! SO glad it's not just mine!

WomanScorned Sat 30-Aug-14 11:53:57

My DS is 4.6, btw. A year ago, everything was 'at his rainbow house' or he was worn out because he'd been painting it, or had seen such and such on tv there etc.

Sightoabloodyscream Sat 30-Aug-14 12:18:21

ds is almost 5 and has an imaginary grandad. I think he may be influenced by grandpa in my pocket. grandad really pisses us both off: everything he does/has is better than here and I'm starting to grit my teeth every time I hear "my grandad..."

MiaSparrow Sat 30-Aug-14 16:04:45

My 3.5yo spends roughly 80% of her life being a cat...

insancerre Sat 30-Aug-14 16:20:54

ferguson that 'condition' is called 'childhood' smile

Heyho111 Sat 30-Aug-14 20:28:05

It's the same as having an imaginary friend except her imagination skills are very good for her age. Just enjoy it as it will be gone one day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now