How to move 15mo from refusing to sleep, relax or be calm unless his fingers are in my mouth?

(4 Posts)
Deedaadeedaadee Mon 25-Aug-14 19:40:55

Exactly as title says really. 15mo DS is a wonderful baby, but admittedly in comparison to DS1 a much more demanding and clingy baby. He is a very smiley, giggly baby but equally all hell brakes loose if something slightly upsets him. When he stopped bf about a month ago he developed this habit of putting fingers in my mouth if I was cuddling him, getting him to sleep etc, this has developed into him going nuts if I try to put him down without allowing him to put his fingers in my mouth until he is asleep or when he is having quiet time/ a rest. I let it go when we first stopped bf as to be honest he was feeding every 1.5 hours over night and I was so grateful to not be so exhausted and physically drained any more, I thought it was a temporary phase which would pass. We have followed gentle parenting techniques and I wish to continue this but my poor lips, tongue and teeth can't take it any more! any advice to gently move him on from this - he is the most stubborn baby I have ever come across so simply refusing to allow him to will result undoubtedly in hours and hours of screaming - something I know I won't be able to do.

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Mon 25-Aug-14 19:46:05

Have you tried giving him a small soft toy to hold whilst you're cuddling him? He might get some comfort from it. I know my DS does - won't go to bed without a little elephant I started giving him at about your DSs age as he kept scratching and pinching me whilst I nursed him.

Sorry to say it, but my 3.5 year old still does this. Let me know if you find a way to crack it, but in the meantime, keep his nails trimmed short smile

AndThisIsTrue Tue 26-Aug-14 21:37:17

I would try and get him a teddy/blanky thing to grow attached to. My DS is similar but he puts his hand down my top/holds my top when he is having his bottle/falling asleep but I have been encouraging him to have a teddy and it seems to be working, he seems to like to hold something as he falls asleep. What did your DS do with his hands when you were bfing? Maybe he just likes to be touching you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now