Nearly 4yr old DS being "disobedient" and then breaking things?

(3 Posts)
CarpeJugulum Sun 24-Aug-14 15:19:37

DS is almost 4. He is generally a good boy, and nursery have no complaints.

However, he has started to break things by repeating actions which I have told him not to do.

For example, DH bought him a plastic sword today. DS started using it as a crutch and putting weight on it so it bent. Both DH and I told him 3 or 4 times between us to stop. As a result, the plastic has broken (irreparably) and the sword has had to be binned.

Similarly, he accidentally pulled a wheel off a toy car. That was accidental and I had no issue fixing it; but he then proceeded to repeat the action despite warnings and the car broke.

DS does not listen/behave when I speak normally, so I have to raise my voice to get him to stop before things break - as he is inconsolable if they do break.

DH says "it's just normal" and that's how boys learn. I say that it might be the case the first time, and then maybe the second (to see how it worked etc) but after that it's disobedience and he should know better. I have tried the 1,2,3 method, time outs, reasoning, sanctions - you name it!

DH says stop shouting... but I can't as it's the only thing that seems to have an effect, albeit that DS gets upset which I'm not happy about either. So how do I get him to listen/stop breaking stuff? HELP!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 24-Aug-14 22:07:23

Have you had his hearing and sight tested? I once spent a week yelling at DS only to discover he had an ear infection and that was why he hadn't been listening blush

Bedsheets4knickers Sun 24-Aug-14 22:17:34

My son is 4 is 2 weeks, at the moment he's really destructive not just his things but everything. I've got a patch of wallpaper missing of a wall. Nail varnish on another. Too much to write down to be honest . I was thinking maybe it was because it's school hols.
He also does a lot of it on the back of being told off about something.
I have no advice what so ever, just letting you know it's happening here aswel x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now