What's worse- a cry baby or a non sleeper?

(7 Posts)
Chickz Sat 23-Aug-14 22:30:33

I have a cry baby -10 months old - who is practically crying all the way through her first year. I don't think she likes being a baby very much. I've managed to rule out the usual- allergies, intolerances and reflux and come to the conclusion that she's just incredibly difficult. Spends most of the day crying and whinging.
I have a friend whose 9 mo DS is a rubbish sleeper - and she barely sleeps past 3am as her baby wakes for the day then. Sometimes he goes down after but more often not. But he's actually a good natured fella, happy and playful.
We were having a discussion about whose got it worse. I can see both sides, what fo you think?

stickygotstuck Sat 23-Aug-14 22:49:40

I don't know about one being worse than the other. Mine was a crier, pretty much like yours by the sounds of it. It was hell. She slept well the night (although she did wake up a couple of time every night until pretty much now -she's 5- and did not sleep at all during the day).

I often found myself thinking what would have appened if she didn' sleep either. I'd like to think mother Nature in her wisdom would know better than to send a crier AND non sleeper - if She would like the human race to stay alive that is!

wishingforwillpower Sat 23-Aug-14 22:56:09

I've had both - dc1 was a great sleeper but foul tempered, dc2 was an awful sleeper but so delightfully happy when awake. Ds1 was definitely harder - the constant whinging and crying just chipped away at my spirit until I practically ran back to work after a year!
The good news is that he is now the happiest, funniest, cutest little boy and nothing like his former self. Will never know what was up with him....

sillymillyb Sat 23-Aug-14 22:56:20

I say a non sleeper is worse - though both are hell. If I can see an end in sight to my day at 7pm then I know what I have to work towards with a crier. With ds I felt like I lost track of days because I never slept for more than 2 hours at a time. I would literally not know if I had been to bed or not some days.

Plus if I have had sleep I can cope better with a crier. If I haven't had sleep they can be the list amazing child ever and I'm just focussing on keeping my eyes open and us all safe.

TheJourney22 Sun 24-Aug-14 13:16:33

I've got a crier. Friend has a non sleeper.

We just say you can't have it all!

My brother cracked me up thou & said "so would I sleep all night if I cried all day" hahaha ...

Agree with us getting better sleep allows us to handle the criers better wink

Damn draining thou. Then you see all these happy content babies & think why me?!?! confused

SomeSunnySunday Sun 24-Aug-14 21:29:10

DC1 cried all day and most of the night for the first 6 months. It nearly broke me. At 6 months (not entirely unprompted) his sleep improved drastically although his mood didn't (that came much later, round about 1), and I found it all a lot easier.

DC2 was the happiest baby imaginable, but also didn't sleep. I found it quite easy (memories of screaming DC1 were still quite fresh) for the first year or so, but lack of sleep did eventually start to get me down. He's 3 now and it's really just in the last month or two that he reliably sleeps through most nights.

So in summary, I'd take lack of sleep in the short term, I think, but either is hard for any length of time!

TheBookofRuth Sun 24-Aug-14 21:30:58

DD was both for her first year. Had she not then turned into the sweetest natured toddler, she'd be an only child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now