Help with deciding which toys are still suitable for 2.5 year old - trying to declutter!

(3 Posts)
Jemster Sat 23-Aug-14 17:44:56

I'm trying to declutter a bit starting with toys but am not really sure what age some of them should be kept until. Dd is 2.5 and has had alot of her toys for ages, she seems pretty uninterested in them now. They are so nice though that I can't bring myself to get rid of them! Also new ones are so expensive so I want to make sure I've had my money's worth. Things I'm not sure if she's a bit old for now are:
Elc wooden peg puzzles, she does them easily now
Books with press buttons that make animal sounds, she's never been that keen
Baby musical instruments
An old cuddly iggle piggle that was ds's but she never watches the night garden
Pop up flap books

It would be helpful too if anyone could share what sort of things their 2.5 year old plays with now. I'm going to keep an eye out at car boot sales and on ebay but need to make some space first! Thanks

AnotherStitchInTime Sat 23-Aug-14 17:52:07

Things dd2 (2.5) plays with are:

Megablocks, wooden blocks and Lego duplo
Happy land stuff
Peppa pig stuff
Plastic animals
Play kitchen, crockery and food
Ponies (her older sister's)
Pokemon characters (older sisters)
Lift the flap books popular still if based on letters, numbers or animals.
Puzzles (but cardboard ones)
Any musical instruments

MiaowTheCat Sun 24-Aug-14 20:44:29

DD1 (2 1/2) is in to:

Happyland
Play food and pots and pans (not so much the kitchen - she'd rather mix mix mix on a little play table)
Board type jigsaws but she needs adult help for more than the basic 2 piece put the arse and head of the dog together type ones
Megablocks and wooden blocks (less so duplo at the moment - her younger sister is more of a duplo fan)
Garage and cars (we got a Toot Toot one and load of road track from the charity shop and she'll play with it for hours - the songs could be used as a form of torture to interrogate criminals though)

She's actually spent most of the last weekend playing with a Mr Potato Head we got from the charity shop (or "the potato man" as she calls him)

We have a fantastic charity shop near my mums and I get a load of toys in there (just got a rocking horse for £4 this weekend!) - things like mega blocks people are always trying to sell on as I think they're a bit of a marmitey type toy in that kids love or totally ignore them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now