Terrible sleeping all of a sudden at 6 months

(4 Posts)
LimesMum Thu 21-Aug-14 08:10:44

Can anyone help please??

My 6 month baby has been sleeping through from 7pm-6am since she was 12 weeks with a dream feed at 1030 ish. This has all gone totally down the pan in the last few weeks.

She wakes before her dream feed to be fed, she is then waking several times a night and the only thing that settles her is feeding.... She then also wakes for the day at 5am!! It's thrown any routine we had out the window!

She also needs rocking or feeding to sleep in the daytime where as used to go down in cot no problem.

A few other things have changed too.. She has some more teeth (but now has 6 and nothing like this happened with first 5). She has learnt to crawl, sit and stand so is often doing these in the night or when put down for a nap. I've also started weaning onto solids and she is loving her food but I thought this was meant to help sleep not make it worse??

I'm at a complete loss as to what is going in and getting exhausted!! I know it could be a phase but just wondered if anyone else has experienced this and whether you have any advice or reassurance for me that I may get a sleeping baby again sometime???

Thanks!! shock shock shock shock

Softlysoftlycatchymonkey Thu 21-Aug-14 19:14:23

Yes dd2 did this it was hellsh.

It will pass. Honestly

Try and stop the rockng to sleep, might be easier in the short run but will only get worse.

I got dd to go asleep in her cot by no tv or high stimulation an hour before bath at six. Calm relaxing bath. Bottle and story on bed. Then I gave dd the rest f the bottle and sat out of sight but I could see her.

When she finished at started fussing I would just go over lay her down, say some gentle words and 'hide' again. And repeated every few mins. It will feel like hours but just stick it out, even when they do the death cry!

Regarding the waking to feed, I would let them have it, it maybe a growth spurt or the may be thirsty. Maybe offer a little water.

I refused to get up with dd before five. If she woke I acted like it was the middle of the night. Is the room dark? Have you got blackout curtains ?

Softlysoftlycatchymonkey Thu 21-Aug-14 19:14:52

Also the baby sleep whisperer is good

LimesMum Thu 21-Aug-14 21:42:55

Thanks softlysoftly, the death cry can go on for over 40 mins s, this morning she made herself physically sick with it, it's blood curdling!! If I rock her she is gone in minutes!! Just don't get how she has regressed so much!!

Problem is she won't take a bottle either, just point blank refused from 4 months onwards - I've tried everything!!

Yes we have black out curtains don't seem to help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now