22 month old ds not interested in drawing or painting

(12 Posts)
Tenochtitlan Wed 20-Aug-14 20:06:20

I'm a little concerned that my 22 month old ds is not at all interested in painting, drawing, playdough. If i offer him a crayon he bats it away (actually he does that with quite a few toys, his interest is fairly limited ie cars, trains, bricks). He has about 20 words, mostly animals, which might not sound much but is about the same level his elder brother was at, at same age, and you can't stop him talking now). He loves books, songs, peek a boo and is a good runner. Should i be concerned?

hollie84 Wed 20-Aug-14 20:08:53

My 4 year old isn't interested in drawing or painting grin

Fairylea Wed 20-Aug-14 20:11:28

Errmmm my 2.5 year old is interested in eating crayons.... does that count?

I really wouldn't worry. In my experience (2 dc) they tend to get more into it all at school.

6031769 Wed 20-Aug-14 20:21:34

my ds wasn't, in fact he's never ever been into playdough and still isn't. He's 4.3 now and still isn't really into drawing as much as some of the other kids but he will do it now and again and he likes painting sometimes. His fine motor skills are fine and he's just starting writing and can write reasonably legibly.

queenofthepirates Wed 20-Aug-14 20:23:29

Nah.... my 2yo wasn't remotely interested in books, aged 3 she is obsessed with books. And beans, odd kid.

MildDrPepperAddiction Wed 20-Aug-14 20:29:01

So? Children all have different interests. DS isn't interested in drawing, dd1 loves it. Encourage him to explore what he does like.

Tenochtitlan Thu 21-Aug-14 18:37:10

Well basically, he likes cars, trains and books. He almost seems angry when you try to offer him something to play with.

Tenochtitlan Thu 21-Aug-14 18:38:10

That is, something different to play with.

ikeaismylocal Fri 22-Aug-14 19:17:28

My ds also loves cars, I set up a big bit of paper outside and put blobs of paint on the paper, ds then drives his cars through the paint which makes a picture. We also do footprints (running up and down a big bit of paper) ds has little interest in drawing otherwise.

tumbletumble Sat 23-Aug-14 08:18:25

Two of my DC like drawing / painting, one doesn't and never has (he's 8 now). It's no big deal.

DeWee Sat 23-Aug-14 12:25:16

Dd1 and ds weren't at that age. However dd1 got very into writing at about 2.6yo and even won a story competition at 3yo.
Ds would still prefer not to put pen to paper and he's 7yo. He does paint occasionally-but usually only his airfix.

PurplePidjin Sat 23-Aug-14 12:38:37

DN wouldn't touch a crayon when I first met him aged just 2 (dp's nephew really)

At 7 he's on his 9th comic book.

My 21mo ds loved drawing at around 15 months, now he just won't sit still for it. I figure he'll get back into it when he's ready. He does love sticking stickers on paper though, might be worth a try?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now