Is there a 9 Month Check?

(10 Posts)
TheJourney22 Wed 20-Aug-14 18:18:19

Is there a 9 Month check with health visitor or clinic?

Have I invented this in my head or should I be taking DS for 9 Month Development check?

Thanks! grin

MrsHathaway Wed 20-Aug-14 18:56:39

Here it's 7-9m. Largely developmental (pass a block from hand to hand, is he crawling? can he sit up?) but also measurements - length, weight, head circumference, and assessing leg creases.

DS3 should have had his recently but it was cancelled twice. I took him to be weighed and they did the other measurements as well. And, crucially, they noticed he has uneven leg creases and doesn't sit/stand/crawl straight. So now we have a referral to get that properly assessed. I would never have noticed on my own.

TheJourney22 Wed 20-Aug-14 20:03:28

Right! Best get this done next week. DS not crawling & only just sitting unaided for short period if time.

Do I just go to my normal weigh in clinic??

MrsHathaway Wed 20-Aug-14 21:07:29

I was sent an appointment. In the end I happened to go to clinic and they said "why has he not had a 7-9m check" and I said "because you cancelled it - does he really need one?"

There was nobody else there so they whizzed through the checklist there and then.

If I were you I'd go to clinic and just ask.

TheJourney22 Thu 21-Aug-14 09:43:19

Great! Thanks smile

moomin35 Thu 21-Aug-14 11:08:48

Hi sorry to hijack - can someone tell me when the checks take place from birth?

TheJourney22 Thu 21-Aug-14 12:36:46

6-8 weeks check at doctor & nurse I think?!?

9 month, and then I'm not sure of rest. Must check the red book!! grin

WeeClype Thu 21-Aug-14 12:40:55

I have a 2.5 yr old ds and he's never had any development checks. When my dd was born the HV told me it was unlikely he would have any now as they are too busy.

beccajoh Thu 21-Aug-14 12:41:38

Not where I live. 6 weeks and then 12 months.

SociallyAcceptableCookie Thu 21-Aug-14 12:46:35

I think in most areas it's called an 8-12 month check and it can be done any time in there. In my area they send you an appointment in the post. Mine was very relaxed and friendly but obviously everyone's experience is different. They have a checklist they go through but babies aren't necessarily expected to do everything. If I were you, OP, I would ring my HV and ask how it's done in your area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now