10.5 mo standing lots on tiptoes

(7 Posts)
KikiShack Mon 18-Aug-14 21:26:05

No idea if this is normal or worrying, but as I've heard lots about how walkers encourage tip toe standing, which I gather is bad, does that mean my DD shouldn't be standing on tip toes?! I'm not sure how to stop her! She is pulling to stand lots, and sometimes is on widely planted flat feet but other times on tip toes, not always reaching up for things with it.
Also one of her feet is often very turned out while standing, and her crawl isn't very symmetric.
She's very healthy, nothing abnormal I'm aware of.
Am I being PFB or should I take her to see the HV?
TIA

EssexMummy123 Mon 18-Aug-14 21:41:09

My dd's crawl wasn't symmetric for a good couple of months, but you can always get her checked out by your local community children's physiotherapist - either your HV or your doctor can refer you.

Heyho111 Tue 19-Aug-14 04:59:55

Walkers are bad for the child's gate, hips etc and should be used for only a few minutes a day. it's fine she's pulling to stand and on her toes sometimes. Don't worry that's normal development.

Thumbwitch Tue 19-Aug-14 05:01:26

Ds2 did this for a while but he's now 22mo and can walk perfectly well. But if you are worried about her turned out foot, then by all means take her to the HV - might as well be reassured properly! smile

Lamu Tue 19-Aug-14 05:39:17

Definitely double check with your HV. But I think it's pretty common between 10-18months. Dd1 was walking like this at 10 months. She's now almost 3 and continues to do it, especially when were are home and she's got no shoes on. It's just a habit because all other times she walks flat on her feet.

KikiShack Tue 19-Aug-14 07:41:02

Thanks all, I'll queue for the HV next time I get her weighed, probably in a week or two. Meant to clarify we don't actually have a walker, but obv she stands up and uses chairs, the buggy, boxes, highchair etc as a walker- if it moves then she will push it along!

whyhasmyheadgonenumb Tue 19-Aug-14 07:51:45

This happened to my DS at the same age but his foot pointed inwards. HV referred me to physio and he now has reverse lasted piedro boots from the orthotics department at the hospital to wear until he is about 3 (he is 19 months now). They are lovely shoes and they are really helping.
Apparently it's something to do with his position in my womb, he was huge, transverse until the day he was born and overdue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now