2 year old terrified of water.

(4 Posts)
Fixitagaintomorrow Mon 18-Aug-14 13:19:07

When DD was about 16m she tried to stand in the bath and slipped, I caught her so it wasn't a bad fall and it was very shallow so she wouldn't of gone under but the way she fell sent a wave of water over her that went in her face and she's been terrified ever since. For about 6 weeks after bath time was unbearable but she calmed down a bit after a while. She's nearly 3 now and is fine in the bath but screams bloody murder when I wash her hair (I'm really surprised none of the neighbours have called the police/ss) it's very long and thick so it takes a good 5 minutes to wash and rinse properly. It's very upsetting for both of us so I try not to do it too often but I'd really appreciate some advice on how to tackle this. I tried taking her swimming recently but I couldn't even get her in the pool.

Has anyone else dealt with this? How did you help your child get over their fear?

Dreamgirls234 Mon 18-Aug-14 15:03:33

Can't help but bumping

Memom Mon 18-Aug-14 15:09:14

Had a similar incident with DD, screaming etc even if the bath was mentioned. I bought a very small, very cheap baby doll, called it BabyDD, asked her if she could wash her hair in the bath and take care of her because she was scared. Worked a treat! Getting through double the shampoo but she happily has a bath now :-)

Fixitagaintomorrow Mon 18-Aug-14 15:24:45

Thank you I will definitely try that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now