What do you send your baby off to nursery with??

(10 Posts)
moomin35 Mon 18-Aug-14 09:27:04

My LO will be 4 months old when i have to return to work. I need to put him in a nursery (i dont want to but have to work) and just now thinking of the realities of this. Nursery has told me to provide everything but just wanted to ask exactly what you send your baby off to nursery with each day? How do I know it will be used by my child alone and not someone elses?

VeryLittleGravitasIndeed Mon 18-Aug-14 09:31:10

Our nursery was quite explicit :
- large packet of nappies (leave at nursery, they put a note in DD's day diary when they need more)
- large packet of wipes and nappy cream (as for nappies)
- hat and sunscreen (leave at nursery)
- two changes of clothes (I sew name tags in)
- two bottles plus formula
- dummy (DD is going through a sucky phase, at 4 months you might not need one)

That's it. Toys etc they have there, DD doesn't have a comfort toy.

rachyconks Mon 18-Aug-14 09:31:16

At our nursery everything is kept in the individual child's bag. Bottles and feeding equipment are named (I bought a dymo label maker to do it).

We send:
Bottles
Change of clothes x 2
Record book (every thing she eats, drinks, sleeps, nappy changes etc are written down)

Kept at nursery:
Nappies
Wipes
Dummies
Formula

They have a steriliser on site. Tbh we could keep the bottles there too but am too tight to buy spare ones and need them for nighttime.

VeryLittleGravitasIndeed Mon 18-Aug-14 09:32:31

I have no way of knowing if any of it gets used by other children, but it does all come back labelled with her name (ie the nappy on her bum, her bottles etc) so I assume they keep it separate.

moomin35 Mon 18-Aug-14 09:42:49

what do you mean by the nappy on her bum verylittlegravitasindeed? Do you writ on/label her nappies too?

NotCitrus Mon 18-Aug-14 09:49:32

They usually have shelves for each child's nappies etc, so reach the right ones when changing, and other stuff kept in a bag on their peg.

So no need to label disposables - and washable nappies should end up bagged in the child's bag after being taken from the shelf.

I wrote on tags of clothes but rarely did anything get lost.

Siennasun Mon 18-Aug-14 11:31:54

In previous nursery All the kids had a cupboard each to store their stuff. In the morning when we arrived I'd label all his stuff, including nappies - I used to write his name on them. The nursery put markers and labels for parents to do this.
His current nursery everything is included. It's easier that way.
Good luck going back to work.

VeryLittleGravitasIndeed Mon 18-Aug-14 13:08:20

I mean the nappy she's wearing when she comes home has her name written on it. I assume they write it on at nursery as I don't.

puntasticusername Mon 18-Aug-14 20:57:29

Good lists above, the only other things I can think of are a Grobag and comfort object if she needs them for naps?

Lovelydiscusfish Mon 18-Aug-14 22:45:56

Nurseries vary a lot - for example ours provides nappies/wipes etc, and formula/bottles, and bibs, so all you need to send is spare clothes, sun cream, and I remember once being asked by them to buy a stronger nappy rash cream, when the sudocreme they provided wasn't enough (dd had spells of having problems with this).
I wouldn't worry about asking the nursery for a clearer breakdown of exactly what they will need from you, as practice seems to vary so hugely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now